Emdr making me worse

Started by 89abc123, July 22, 2017, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I had a look around at the clinical research on EMDR for Complex PTSD and found three articles (so the good news is there is research being conducted and Eyessoblue you can take these to your T):

Bongaerts, H., Van Minnen, A., & de Jongh, A. (2017). Intensive EMDR to treat patients with Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A case series. Journal of EMDR Practice & Research, 11(2), 84-95. doi:10.1891/1933-3196.11.2.84. (Note: No pdf/link is available for this article so I've included the abstract.)

Abstract: There is mounting evidence suggesting that by increasing the frequency of treatment sessions, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) treatment outcomes significantly improve. As part of an ongoing research project, this study examined the safety and effectiveness of intensive eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy in a group of seven (four female) patients suffering from complex PTSD and multiple comorbidities resulting from childhood sexual abuse, physical abuse, and/or work and combat-related trauma. Treatment was not preceded by a preparation phase and consisted of 2 x 4 consecutive days of EMDR therapy administered in morning and afternoon sessions of 90 minutes each, interspersed with intensive physical activity and psychoeducation. Outcome measures were the Clinician-Administered PTSD Scale (CAPS) and the PTSD Symptom Scale Self-report questionnaire (PSS-SR). During treatment, neither personal adverse events nor dropout occurred. CAPS scores decreased significantly from pre- to posttreatment, and four of the seven patients lost their PTSD diagnosis as established with the CAPS. The results were maintained at 3-month follow-up. Effect sizes (Cohen's d) on the CAPS and PSS-SR were large: 3.2, 1.7 (prepost) and 2.3, 2.1 (prefollow-up), respectively. The results of this case series suggest that an intensive program using EMDR therapy is a potentially safe and effective treatment alternative for complex PTSD. The application of massed, consecutive days of treatments using EMDR therapy for patients suffering from PTSD, particularly those with multiple comorbidities, merits more clinical and research attention.

Forgash, C., & Knipe, J. (2012). Integrating EMDR and ego state treatment for clients with trauma disorders. Journal of EMDR Practice & Research, 6(3), 120-128. Retrieved from: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/springer/emdr/2012/00000006/00000003/art00006?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf

Korn, D. L. (2009). EMDR and the treatment of Complex PTSD: A review. Journal of EMDR Practice & Research, 3(4), 264-278. Retrieved from: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/springer/emdr/2009/00000003/00000004/art00006?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf.

Eyessoblue

I like vanilla

I know that I am somewhat late in commenting here, but a) the topic turned out to be really triggering for me, and b) I recently went on holiday with no real online activity :)

89 and eyes, I hope you are both settling and figuring things out, whether you opted to continue with EMDR or not. I am hoping too that you had a chance to talk with your Ts and got constructive results.

I think, as many people noted, that it is critical to have the proper therapist - both someone well versed in the technique and someone with whom you can build a rapport (both points true no matter which therapeutic technique(s) are used). In my case, neither point was true. Unfortunately, at the beginning I was not far enough along my healing journey to have seen the red flags. When I started seeing them I did not know what to do about them. Worse, my T manipulated me in the same way as my NM, which made her machinations both difficult for me to see and, at the time, virtually impossible for me to defend against. However, with the help of a couple friends, to whom I went for a reality check, I began asserting my needs and wants, and concerns (often weakly, and generally politely). My T felt very threatened by my questioning of what was going on. Eventually, she fired me. As traumatic as that was at the time, it was also a favour as it freed me to seek someone else.

I had a meta-discussion with my current T about what happened, the fallout on me, and what that meant going forward in any therapeutic relationship in the future. We made a deal: I will tell him (weakly, politely, rudely, writing it down, using charades - yes that actually is an option) in some way, shape or form) if I am feeling uncomfortable about any thing going on during our therapy appointments. In turn, he regularly checks in with me to touch base on how I am feeling about how things our going, the ways we interact, etc. So far so good. We have never had a falling out but that is largely because we never allow concerns to grow and fester and lead to a falling out. We have both kept our word; I have only had very minor concerns, and my 'new' T has responded constructively to my thoughts and feelings, and so trust is built and progress is made.

Yes, that is the key, with any type of therapeutic strategy(ies), building trust and rapport with the therapist, and having a therapist who can be trusted and open to feedback and concerns.

p.s. Sanmagic7 - I think if I had had a therapist like you I would have been much better off. Though, now it sounds like I do have a therapist like you and I am much better off. Your clients are fortunate to have you. 

Eyessoblue

Hi yes, you are so right, if the therapist doesn't feel like a right match then there's no point in continuing with them, I'm just so very lucky, I have a therapist who from the moment I met her I just 'clicked' with. My EMDR sessions went really well but it did bring up a lot of other 'stuff' but rather then disregard me she has stopped the process for now and is going to do a few weeks of intensive psychotherapy to get me re grounded and talk about the issues I have and then re start EMDR again when 'i' feel ready. This is so important and I really now can see the light at the end of the tunnel, my anxiety in general has gone right down and I am starting to feel more 'normal' but you have to get that connection right which thankfully I have.

I like vanilla

Eyessoblue - that is great news. It is wonderful that you found a therapist who is willing and able to have that discussion with you and who is willing and able to help you through the hurdles you have been experiencing. I am so happy for you that you have found this and hope as you move forward in your journey. We are indeed lucky that we have found the persons we need (and want) to help us move forward.

sanmagic7

vanilla, that was such a sweet thing to say, and i thank you from the bottom of my heart.  you moved me almost to tears.  i'm just so glad for you that you've found someone with whom you can feel comfortable doing this work.  that's the best news.  big hug to you.

Kizzie