Reparenting a 2yr old with DID

Started by sigiriuk, April 26, 2017, 11:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigiriuk

Any tips to help me:
Where does one begin parenting a child who regularly leaves reality?

mourningdove

sigiriuk

Thank you mourningdove.
I am looking into this, and hope it helps.

Coco

Read van der Kolk's book, or watch him on Youtube. You mirroring the 2 yr old's body language, doing things like playing catch with a big ball that requires you and the toddler to give and receive in sympatico harmony using physical actions, you looking into the little one's eyes and speaking in soothing tones and reflecting his or her facial expressions (being very responsive) would be very very important. Helping the 2 yr old to gain a direct experience of feeling safe and stable within the body is the first task, I'd say.

Slackjaw99

I have a very angry two year old in my head. I've recently had some amazing success using a combination of psychedelic (medical cannabis), intensive vagus nerve stimulation, and mindfulness to prep a self-therapy session where I visualized holding the 2 year old version of me. While stroking his head, I gave him permission to cry for as long as he wanted. During this time my body was doubled over in some sort of intense release of grief and trauma over two recent existential stressors. Since then, I've had a couple additional sessions where I was able to laugh with my 2 year old over some previously traumatizing situations that no longer held power over me. I'm hoping to be able to do this in my therapist's office at some point.

Candid

DID (formerly MPD) is a very rare diagnosis, Slim.  Do you mean it literally?