Success in thought-stopping

Started by Candid, March 17, 2017, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candid

I'm a former SG whose whole FOO eventually went NC with me, not the other way round. Although I've waded through a rough sea of grief, rage and feelings of abandonment over this, I wouldn't want any of them back.

This week I realised I was thinking of family members every day, and that the longer I sat with it the worse I felt. I could be at first angry over the unfairness of it all, then be sad at not seeing my siblings ever again, then I would start to remember things FOO other than mother said, and I would start to think maybe it was me, after all, and soon after that I'd be self-destructing in some way guaranteed to make me feel worse.

A couple of days ago it dawned on me that I would never heal as long as I kept reopening these old wounds, and that I simply can't afford to be thinking of mother, father, sister, brother. I decided that when any one of them came to mind, I would have to get up and do something or switch my thoughts to what's right about myself and my life.

I may be saying something very basic that all of you already know. Of course the thoughts still come, but they can be switched off now. I don't have to go round and round in my own skull trying to figure out what I did wrong, how this situation came about, things I wish I'd said or desperately want to say now, or whether I 'should' extend olive branches to my siblings. In fact, I forbid myself doing any of that. If there was an Answer That Would Resolve Everything, I would have hit on it long ago.

Thought-stopping has made a big difference to me since then. Early days, but I like the effects so far. I feel a whole lot less tragic. I feel improved self-esteem and ability to speak up for myself. I feel slightly better able to cope with H's difficult moods. I even feel better about living with MIL!  And the miracle is, she's spontaneously offered to help us buy a home for ourselves.

I think the day will come when I think of a FOO member, wish them well and immediately let go. That particular neural pathway can be shut down and have pretty wisteria growing over it.

Three Roses

Kizzie

Some great recovery you're working on, and maybe a new house in the future - lovely to hear Candid!   :thumbup:  and   :applause:   and  :hug: 

Candid

Thank you both. It feels so nice to have applause and hugs and dancing girls for a big step in the right direction, reinforces the decision somehow.

:bighug: :bighug: