Empathy fatigue and depression . . .

Started by alliematt, November 10, 2016, 02:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliematt

Today I have a bad case of empathy fatigue and I feel depressed. (I took some Advil PM last night and I feel groggy this morning.)  A LOT of my Facebook friends aren't happy with election results.  I'm trying not to fight with people and I want to empathize with anyone who is angry or hurting.  But I am having a lot of trouble coming up with the energy to do it. 

Yesterday also, my son was constantly obsessing on CSI:NY (a show he's just discovered) and when I hear comments on the exact same subject over and over and over, I get very tense, especially because I'm trying not to yell at him.  (He has autism.  This is a manifestation of the autism, obsession on certain subjects.) 

Sometimes I feel as if I have to respect/show empathy for others, but I don't always feel I get the same treatment from others, i.e. empathy for my feelings. 

:fallingbricks: :fallingbricks:  :'(

Three Roses

:hug:

I've limited my time on Facebook recently. I don't comment, react, "like" or "dislike" any post that's political in nature.

Also, I find that humor helps me sort of shake off any negative emotional effect I pick up from there. Sometimes, the darker the humor, the better.  ;)

sanmagic7

empathy can be draining, even if it's a wonderful thing most of the time.  i've had to pick and choose on this forum how much and with whom i interact.  i wish i could open my arms and heart to everyone here, but that won't work.  and, as i'm feeling sicker, i'm pulling back even more.  i believe we have to pace ourselves even (maybe especially) with giving.

and may i give you a big hug and let you know you're not alone, you don't have to reach out to everyone, and people can get along with their lives without you at times.  actually, i think it's important that they do. 

and this election has been almost traumatic from the beginning.  the results, for many people, even more so.  everyone has to find his/her/their own balance with all this.  it's disturbing to me that so many who were against all the hate-mongering are now participating in it themselves.  sad, but it is what it is.  we'll deal with whatever comes down the pike.  we always have.

alliematt

Sanmagic, I'm sorry that your illness, whatever it is, is getting worse.  :'(

sanmagic7

thanks, alliematt.  i do believe i finally have a handle on it and a way to make it better.  it may not get fully fixed, but i have a plan and hope now that i didn't have before, and that feels good all by itself.