Mindfulness - can this help?

Started by caroline, April 16, 2016, 03:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caroline

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done any sort of mindfulness?  I have the opportunity to go to a weekly group.  I tried mindfulness a few years ago but i think i was too unwell to actually use it.  I would like to try it again. 

Any mindfulness experiences? Good or bad idea?

Thanks for any input!

Jdog

Hi Caroline-

The topic of Mindfulness covers quite a bit of territory.  To me, it includes everything from my meditation practice to just remembering to breathe and look around when I am feeling rushed or not quite in my body.  It is an excellent concept to embrace, and one which I am integrating more and more into my daily life. 

I have found that one of the most helpful things to keep in mind while considering mindful approaches is that there will be lots of times when I slip out of a mindful way of being and that is a chance to practice self compassion and gentleness with my learning process.  I, like many others on this forum, have spent a lot of time not being "in the moment", and there are very good and self-protective reasons for not being present.  So, be gentle with yourself and enjoy learning about your own internal processes as you seek to become more mindful.

Best wishes in your endeavors!

Talisien

As Jdog posted Mindfulness does cover a big area. For me it is the opposite I have to learn to turn my mind off. Hyper-alert and aware in every moment it is difficult for me not to be mindful. Living in the moment is something I have found useful however. This does stop my mind from going over the anxious 'what ifs' of the uncertain future and re-living the trauma flashbacks.

caroline

Hey Jdog  and Talisien, just wanted to update.

I went along to this mindfulness group and managed through the whole thing, but it was really difficult!  I tend to spend my time being as busy as possible to and to have the time directed on my own thoughts/body sensations/etc, was very difficult.  I am going to go back as i think it might be really good for me.  Some of the people in the group have been doing it for a while and said it gets easier. 

Thanks so much for the insight you both had - I rally just want to stick to my colouring in books, but maybe more guided classes will bring better things?!  I am willing to try anyway.

Thanks again! x

Jdog

Best wishes to you in this endeavor, however much you decide to allow in at this time! 

Talisien

It is important to try things out. You never know what might work for you. Keep us posted  :hug: