Window of Tolerance (concept and free resource)

Started by mourningdove, February 08, 2016, 12:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mourningdove

My T uses this concept a lot, and I find it useful. The phrase "window of tolerance" refers to the sweet spot of optimal arousal that exists between hyperarousal (fight or flight response) and hypoarousal (immobilization response).

I just happened to find a free resource on this from an author I really like named Laura Kerr. Here's the link:
http://www.laurakkerr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/LauraKerr_Short_WOT_Handout.pdf

This is from Dr. Kerr's website:
So here's what you need to know about WOT (the acronym for Window of Tolerance) and how to get back there:

From what I have been able to find out, the Window of Tolerance was first introduced by Dr. Dan Siegel, who in his book The Developing Mind stressed the importance of emotional regulation for mental health.

The best way to think about the WOT is as an emotional, physical, and social state we can inhabit where we feel capable, and able to attend to the task at hand, along with interacting meaningfully with others, while also attending to our own emotional states and needs.

The WOT has an upper limit, hyperarousal, and a lower limit, hypoarousal. Each of these extremes have their associated emotional, physical, and social states, just as the WOT does.

To live within the WOT requires knowing the signs that you are out of it — either hyperaroused or hypoaroused — and then knowing what to do to get yourself back within the WOT.

Getting back in the WOT is all about resourcing. Depending on your unique self and approach to living — e.g., your temperament, your attachment style, your go-to defenses, and other habitual propensities — you resource yourself either through your body, your thoughts, your emotions, or a combination of these.
http://www.laurakkerr.com/2015/07/24/wot-guide/

I like vanilla

Thank you mourningdove.  I have only had time to give the pages from the link a good skim, but this looks like a fantastic resource  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:. I plan to print a copy to keep with me for when  I need it.

mourningdove

I'm glad it looks useful, I_like_vanilla! :)

My only criticism of the handout (I just realized), is what she calls "4x4x4 breathing." I'm sure it is helpful for some, if she has it in there, but personally, I much prefer "4 square breathing," which is inhale-2-3-4, hold-2-3-4, exhale-2-3-4, hold-2-3-4, and one can imagine the sides of a square when doing it.

That's one of the few coping strategies I'm actually able to remember sometimes on my own. "4x4x4 breathing," on the other hand, actually makes me nervous, because it doesn't have the pauses. (Maybe because I count quickly when triggered!)

I like vanilla

;D I always adjust for breathing exercises. I play French horn so tend to have good lung capacity. In group breathing exercises I am often still breathing in when everyone else has held and started breathing out  ;D

no_more_fear

Thanks, morningdove. I'm very interested in this myself as I seem to perpetually flit between the two. It's very disconcerting as one minute my muscles will be so tense that my limbs feel taut and next minute I'll nearly collapse as they've become completely loose.