Favorite Quotes - Part 1

Started by Rain, September 28, 2014, 10:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KayFly

"Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art." -Kurt Cobain

DaisyMae

Love that one KayFly.  Miss Kurt, wish he was still with us....

Humor is what has always gotten me through life, to be able to rationalize anything.  Viktor Frankl is one of my favorite authors.  Dutch Uncle, since you are a Nietzche fan, guessing Frankl is someone you would appreciate as well.

"The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living." Viktor Frankl. 

I truly believe that life would be unbearable without humor and music!

DM ;D

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: DaisyMae on August 07, 2015, 10:59:32 PM
Humor is what has always gotten me through life, to be able to rationalize anything.  Viktor Frankl is one of my favorite authors.  Dutch Uncle, since you are a Nietzche fan, guessing Frankl is someone you would appreciate as well.

Thanks for the tip. Haven't heard of him. But I already like him after a quick wikipedia visit:
"Even among the detainees in the concentration camps there are just two kinds of people: the decent and the wicked." Now that is something I can relate to.

Love the title of his book: Trotzdem Ja Zum Leben Sagen: Ein Psychologe Erlebt das Konzentrationslager, (translated as "Saying Yes to Life in Spite of Everything: A Psychologist Experiences the Concentration Camp", known in English by the title Man's Search for Meaning (1959)

Frankl became [...] a prominent source of inspiration for humanistic psychologists.  :thumbup:

I'll definitely will read some writings by him. Thanks!

Dutch Uncle

There is a voice that does not use words. Listen.

Rumi

DaisyMae

Good one!

Just a few words can convey so much.  I am struggling to find balance at the moment. Too much conversation going on in my head, inner critic challenging my rational thoughts.  Need to find a way to shut her up and start listening to those things that do not use words.... art, experiences, others emotions as well as my own.

Thank you Dutch!

Lifecrafting

Quote"We can all see them coming and brace for: the waves that crash [into us]. Though it's the undertow [we can't anticipate on] that gets us."
Whoa. I so totally felt this when I read it... I don't even know what to say.

And then you quoted Rumi....Ahhhh..... Thank you, Dutch.

Dutch Uncle

This is one I made up myself.
So, it's a slogan of sorts.

I simply had it translated by Google, then [added]/(edited out) a bit:

"You do not need to understand it to be [cap]able of doing it (right)"

For me this means: I don't have to figure it ALL out. I don't have to JADE to myself all the time.
Difficult!

As I type this I'm reminded of an (apparent) Chinese proverb:
"Simple. Not Easy."

Dutch Uncle

Being brave doesn't mean you aren't scared. Being brave means you are scared, really scared, badly scared, and you do the right thing anyway.

Neil Gaiman

Vrizzy

One of my favorite quotes comes from a movie I watched when I was younger: "Words spoken in the heat of anger are never from the heart."

"Ah yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either ryn from it or learn from it." -Rafiki (The Lion King)

"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." -Grandmother Willow (Pocahontas)

"Sometimes we only see how people are different from us. But if you look hard enough, you can see how much we're all alike." -Jasmine (Aladdin)

"Some people are worth melting for." -Olaf (Frozen)

"Everybody's a fixer upper." -The Trolls (Frozen)

"You can't get what you want just by wishing for it." -Tiana (The Princess And The Frog)

KayFly

That's so cute Vrizzy. I love Disney movies, and whatever Frozen and the Princess and the Frog are.

:)

Vrizzy

"Don't trust anyone that says you can't do it. Show them you can." -Rapunzel (Tangled)

"Just keep swimming!" -Dory (Finding Memo)

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times. If only one remembers to turn on the light." -Albums Dumbledore (Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban)

"It is our choices, Harry, that make us who we truly are, far more than our abilities." -Albums Dumbledore (Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets)

"Never trust anyone that calls you friend who would rather demand your silence than hear your words." -me

Disney is awesome and so inspirational!

Lifecrafting

"Courage asks no favors"

It's mine from many years ago and most disagree with me.

What do you think?

Vrizzy

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: Lifecrafting on August 17, 2015, 11:23:27 PM
"Courage asks no favors"

I like it.
Though it's a bit obscure what is actually meant. Does it express how courage is often a bit of a torturous path? Courage comes at a cost? (yet the results can be very rewarding?)

That's the way I read it, and it's so true. Hence I like it.  :thumbup:

Quote from: Vrizzy on August 17, 2015, 10:19:24 PM
"Ah yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it." -Rafiki (The Lion King)
Personally I dislike that, and sayings in a similar vein.
One of the things that has helped me the most on my path Out of the FOG has been the realization that "Flight" is as valuable as "Fight" (or "Freeze" and "Fawn" for that matter). It's very circumstantial when to use what.
To illustrate: there's a quote attributed to WWII general George Patton that's something like: "Your job as a soldier is not to die for your country, but to make sure some other poor sod will die for his."
For me that means: There's really no reason to (always) stand up and fight heroically, if that will mean you'll go down yourself.  :sadno:

For me that realization has been key in my decision to go NC with my sister, and LC (bordering on NC) with my mother. I always had to "Fight" with them, and it has made me profoundly unhappy. THe "Flight" I am taking from my past has already reaped much more rewards in the last few years than the roughly 50 years of "Fight" before that.  :doh:

Sorry to have been so longwinded in this thread on mere quotes.  :blink:

Dutch Uncle

Here's one that sums up the value of sites like this for me:

"There's nothing more intimate in life than simply being understood."
Brad Meltzer