Unable to visualize - EMDR block

Started by storyworld, November 21, 2023, 06:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyworld

Hello, all,

Do any of you have difficulty visualizing things? I've found I even struggle with visualizing positive things. What happens is I start with a completely black slate, then try to evoke an image of, say, a beach, and just when the image begins to emerge, another image takes over, and then my mind immediately shuts it off, and my mind goes black once again. And often, this occurs so quickly, I can't even make sense of the unpleasant image (and I know, or at least believe, it's unpleasant because I get an instant burst of anxiety that sometimes lasts quite awhile). The same thing happens as I try to sleep. It's like, when my mind is unattended, anxiety-producing images flash in, but never long enough that I can make sense of them and actually deal with them. And all of this seems to prohibit me from benefiting from EMDR.

Armee

Hey slightly different but I think this will help anyway,

I have aphantasia which is the complete lack of imagery (though occasionally I get an intrusive image during a flashback. But never during EMDR. )

Also part of this condition there are no other senses like smell or taste or sound (again except during the rare flashback where those show up, never during emdr).

I have still had great luck doing emdr. Yes I have way less information available but the processing still seems to happen. I have to trust the other sources of information coming through like touch, spatial orientation, emotions, and body sensations. The processing is still successful. It is probably much slower. But I have never ever had an image during emdr. There is other information you body is giving you though.

I'm pretty sure my T would think you needed to do some parts work though and work with the part of your mind that is blocking the images. But even if that doesn't happen, you can still do emdr.

storyworld

Armee, thank you for this. That is helpful. :) :) And encouraging.

Papa Coco

Hi Storyworld,

For me, images aren't as important as body feelings and sensations. When my T does EMDR with me, he has me talking about a stress that's bothering me, or memories I can't shake, and rather than focusing on any images, he focuses on what I'm feeling and where I'm feeling it. We get a lot of good therapy in when we focus on how I feel, rather than what I see in my images.

I don't see images very well either. But I can sure find stress in my body when needed. We work with the sensations and things keep getting better and better for me.

storyworld

Thanks, Papa Coco, that's helpful. Is this something you needed to speak with your therapist about, or did he always focus on sensations/emotions?