Not drinking and feeling better

Started by freelancebaby, October 01, 2023, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancebaby

Hi All,

I've stopped drinking alcohol the last six weeks and am very much more emotionally regulated. I've also started seeing a somatic therapist during this same time frame, and I'm feeling so much better that I feel I am ready to move away from seeing her. But maybe I should hang tough for a while, since six weeks isn't that long.

Blueberry

Hey, it's great you haven't drunk alcohol for 6 weeks :cheer:

My good phases don't tend to last and then it's good for me to have somebody to go to when things get a little shakey again, to help me explore the down phase and learn from it. Idk if that might be relevant in your case too. I also tend to discuss that kind of thing with the T directly. I hope you feel comfortable doing that.

freelancebaby

Thank you for your response, Blueberry! I will definitely bring it up and keep in mind that it will be good to have someone there when things get shaky again.

NarcKiddo

In my experience of therapy (a little over a year, now) and healing, I have found that it can feel a bit like snakes and ladders. When I have just slid down a big snake it really helps to have my therapist to talk things through with. She can help me look at the bigger picture and see the progress, even though at that moment I am not feeling it. I guess I am saying the same as Blueberry, really, and if you have the time and resources to keep your therapist for now then it might make sense.

Well done on cutting out the alcohol. That's great. I have hugely reduced my consumption and drink rarely these days. The quality of my sleep is so much better and that helps everything.

freelancebaby

Thank you, NarcKiddo, I'll keep my therapist for the time being.