Expanding our window of tolerance

Started by storyworld, September 23, 2023, 03:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyworld

Hello, all,
Does anyone know how long it takes to expand one's window of tolerance? I know that's probably somewhat subjective, but I'd love to read your experiences, especially in terms of being able to talk about one's childhood without getting flooded.

Kizzie

It really is quite individual StoryWorld and depends on a number of factors like whether you're in therapy and how effective it is for you, do you have support, etc.

I do know once I figured out what was going on my symptoms did decrease in intensity and frequency over a number of years.

Ghost

Hi storyworld,
I agree with Kizzie. We're all different.

But I found having a good support system and being kind to myself kind of helped me along that road.

It took me years to build a good support system (good partner, good doctors, cutting out bad people) and I wasn't dealing with it alone. I wasn't carrying it by myself all the time. It did take a good long while, like two years before I could think of things without wanting to throw up and cry even with an epic support system, but that's just me.

I kind of feel like, the stronger your support the quicker it can go, but quicker is relative.

storyworld

Thanks, Kizzie and Ghost. I was actually able to talk with my therapist about this recently. She assured me that I'm ... well, I don't know exactly how she phrased it. Not "normal" but that she's not concerned with what feels to me like lack of (or extremely slow) process. She also gave me some ways I can increase my window. I do have a great support in my husband. While I have "friends" I struggle to feel comfortable or believe they'll stick around long.