Learning to heal, Larry's journey

Started by Larry, October 20, 2021, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

feeling good today,  worked this morning and went to they gym.   day 5 without a drink.   I almost don't want to count the days anymore,  i just want to not overdrink and have to deal with all the complications and suicidal thoughts.   I am not sleeping as much as i would like,  but i noticed i have not been getting nightmares as frequent as i did when i drank alot.   

Armee

That's awesome Larry! Nightmares make it really hard to sleep and then that just adds to the difficulties. Also i learned awhile ago when I was working in critical incident stress management (basically peer to peer counseling for first responders) that alcohol interferes with REM sleep which is when we process trauma so after a traumatic incident we advise people to not drink much or at all for a couple days so their brains can process the trauma while they sleep.

I think I need to stop anesthetizing myself before bed too. It can't be helping me process the trauma so it's just keeping me stuck like this longer.

NarcKiddo

Well done, Larry! Go, you.  :cheer:

I used to think alcohol would help me sleep. It would certainly help me zonk out but I would frequently wake in a panic in the early hours when I was drinking regularly. I got a heart rate monitor for the gym and tried it at night to see how low my resting heart rate was during the night. I was expecting it to be low because I am now quite fit and my daytime resting rate is pretty good. BUT - I discovered my night time heart rate is quite a lot higher than my daytime resting rate (probably due to trauma) and if I drink, the heart rate goes way higher all night. So I think I have slept soundly but have not actually rested all that well. That is an added incentive for me to keep control of my drinking and since you like your exercise I thought I would mention it here.

Larry

I appreciate you both for all the help and support,    i have been doing good,  until about an hour ago,   is started feeling depresed and lonely.    i am at home now,   and the dogs help a lot.   i am trying to fight it off.   i really need to find some local friends for support.

NarcKiddo

Dogs are such a comfort. Wishing you all the best.

Papa Coco

Larry, I'm happy to hear you've nearly completed a full week sober. CONGRATULATIONS!

And I agree with your assessment that you need to find local support. I would still be drinking if I hadn't had that.

Larry

thank you PC !    I am trying to get motivated today.  I really want to go to the gym.   I am starting to calm down a little,   i took my wife to the grocery store this morning and it was so busy,  it really stresses me out. 

Papa Coco

Hi Larry,

I'm just checking in. (I get stressed out in crowds too...I shop on Amazon more and more just so I don't have to leave the house and go into the stores). I hope you're having a good day today.

Larry

thank you PC !
  Today is day 10 without a drink.   it feels awkward to count the days.   I feel like i can have a few drinks,   i just don't want to use alcohol to escape anymore.  I went for a bicycle ride yesterday,   first tie ina while.   it felt nice.  going to the gym later today.   
i am going to be in a show at the local theater,  i really enjoy that,   the cast is always supportive and feels like family

NarcKiddo

Good for you, Larry. I think you're doing really well. The show sounds great fun. Would like to hear more about that if you wish to share.

Larry

thank you NarcKiddo,  we are doing the mousetrap by Agatha Christie,   i have been in several shows at the theater,   i really enjoy it.   

Papa Coco

Larry

That is so cool! I wanted to join theater in High School but was so used to being humiliated for anything I ever did. I believed my friends would all humiliate me for being in a play. I saw acting as a wish I would never be able to fulfill. I let trauma take that from me. I'm glad you didn't let trauma take that from you!

I think it's awesome that you let yourself have that fun art.

And congratulations on 10 days! 

The ONE most important thing I learned in AA that has literally saved me from thinking I could have that one drink at dinner is that I now know, without a shadow of a doubt, that the ONLY drink I can say no to is the first one.

I hope you keep saying no to that first one.

I'm pulling for you, and I'll chime in with NarKiddo and say that I would also really like to hear a bit about what it's like to be on stage in a play. I want to live a bit vicariously through that with you.

Larry

thank you so much papa coco !!     today is 15 days,  went to the gym and trying to eat.  I still get depressed and feel isolated,  not sure what i can do about that right now.

I didn't start theater stuff until later in life.  I really enjoy it,  you get to be someone else.  I like to do comedies.  it is such a good feeling making people laugh. 

NarcKiddo

Good for you, Larry.

I did quite a lot of theatre stuff in school and really enjoyed it. I was not happy at school (boarding school) so the acting was a good outlet. And comedies, I agree, are great fun to do. It's also good to feel part of a team with a common goal of making the show the best it can be.

Papa Coco

Larry, congratulations on 15 days! Remember, you can say no only to the first drink. I'm pulling for you. The desire to drink eventually goes away. It did for me. I don't even like the smell of booze anymore. Such a relief.

I know that feeling of making an audience laugh. It's euphoric. I'm glad you are in a play that includes humor. How fun!