Best books/authors for Inner Child Work?

Started by Charlotte, March 22, 2015, 06:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

I read the list of books on the OOTS Books tab for doing Inner Child work, and I'm not sure where to go.  I do not want to search online, that will be too many rabbit holes. 

My concern is, I'm never done this before, and I don't know if I am supposed to dialogue, learn about, integrate, observe... any number of verbs... the inner child.  I do know that I think I have always had her around but felt shame and annoyance.  Integration sounds like a good idea (helps me ask for what I want) but I don't know. 

Who do you like and why? 

Thanks!

Rrecovery

Hi Charlotte, Homecoming by Bradshaw was the book I used.  I was ready and at a good place to do that work I guess because, for me, it was the most important therapeutic work I have ever done.  It helped me see that real self esteem is self acceptance; a compassionate disposition towards the self no matter what.  :yes:

Charlotte

Thanks for the recommendation!  Cool, I'm glad it helped you.  I think I truly love my inner child (or what I think is my ICh) but since about age 14, I did not feel like it was ok to love her.  I bet it's hard work. 

Kubali

Charlotte

I agree with Rrecovery. Bradshaw is a good place to start. " healing the shame that binds you" is another of his books and is an excellent healing tool.

Either of these will help you begin the integration process. Just start at the beginning. Take it slowly. Your IC will set the pace for you.

Here's a 'Heads Up' for you. Those parts that you dismiss as irrelevant are the ones that need attention. I know if I avoid something it's a sign that I'm hiding.

Kubali