Unknown caller

Started by Sceal, February 23, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceal

I was sitting on the bus. Pretty worn out, as I am these days.
And my phone started vibrating. There's not alot of people who call me, so I looked at it kind of surprised and I saw it was a number that I haven't put in my phone book. I started sweating, became nauseated. My first thoughts were
"Who is this?.... They've found me. They are going to punish me. They are out to get me!"

I stopped using my social media profile over a year ago, I made a new one. Both on Facebook, twitter and Instagram. And I changed my phone number about a month ago. Very few people has it. Only the most important people got my new number. So who is trying to call me?! I know that there is a high chance that it was just some random person calling the wrong number, or looking for someone else. But I had a full blown out panic attack. Hypervigilant, the voices came back, tension and my paranoia. I've had more and more paranoid thoughts lately. I texted a tech savvy friend and asked if he could look into it to me. He did, he found somone in a different city. But, still it's no guarantee.
They are everywhere. They might be trying to get a hold of me through someone else. It's quite possible!  It doesn't help I noticed they are having a public event near my university soon. And I can't remember the date, and I'm too afraid to look the event up, incase I get too triggered. So I'm stuck.  :fallingbricks: :spooked: :disappear:

Dee

I can totally understand this.  I've certainly held my breath answering the phone because I was scared. 

For me, I would have to work on my 5 senses to ground myself.  I would also need to distract myself until I can look at it from a calmer perspective.

Sceal

I wasn't able to. I didn't have any space where I felt safe. I was out in public. I rushed home, and locked the door and disengaged.
I feel weak and vulnerable, shameful and scared to the core. I don't feel safe anymore.
And I hate not feeling safe

LearnToLoveTheRide

Distress tolerance. Find different things that work for different situations.

I have my private phone. I do not even know the number thereof so no one else could. No calls. Ever

Then I have my public phone. My misery phone. I never answer it. I leave it alone. My voicemail redirects callers to send a text message if necessary. I check once a day.

It's a bit extreme but it helps keep anxiety down.

Good luck. Be safe. LTLTR

sanmagic7

i have always hated unknown callers, and have never had caller ID before being here, so i never knew who was on the line before i answered.  people who thought it was funny not to say anything when i answered were brought up short cuz i didn't say hello more than twice before i hung up.  several people i knew learned really fast not to mess with me on the phone.

the time i was paranoid about answering was after i went nc with my d1.  i was so afraid that even if she left a message, it would be some kind of horrible attack, or if i answered and it was her, she'd start in on me and i wouldn't be able to hang up fast enough.   that was a terribly fearful time.  so, i hear you, sweetie, about being afraid of the phone.

this does sound, tho, like it was a wrong number.  you'll know that if it doesn't happen again.  i'm so sorry you don't feel safe now.  that just sucks.   gathering you in a big hug full of protection and love.

miaoue

i relate so much Sceal...those thoughts when my phone rings. immediately feeling unsafe. i always think it's going to be the immigration services calling me to tell me to leave the country. if it's not my H calling to gloat that he saw me out somewhere in town. i've tried changing the ringtone but i still jump out of my skin when it goes off. even if i'm waiting for an important call and i want to answer, it takes me so long to calm down and breathe again that i miss the call.

then i look up the number...and it's usually telemarketers anyway. :Idunno:

sending you a few deep breaths through the internet...
:phoot:   <-- that's the most relevant emoji i could find...

Sceal

Sorry I am so late in replying to you. I've been a little dissociated and preoccupied at the same time. Very exhausting combination.

I do have some distress tolerance exercises to do in some situations. But I guess I haven't practiced them lately. And those are still easier when it isn't a panic attack. But I could try and look into one for panic situations too.

I've been so paranoid and scared around my phone for over a year that I turned off all sounds. Of course that made it problematic when my T or GP tried to reach me. But I wasn't always on alert when I removed that. Although I would still panic when other people's phones would go of. :P  but after getting my new phone and my new number I've felt more safe around callers. My number is hidden, so unless I give it away you can't find it.

Miaoue, that sounds awful. Can you change your number so your H dont have it and can't gloat at the very least?  Changing the number did a lot for me. The stress isn't daily anymore.

The number called me twice again the day afterwards. And it wasn't pleasant at all. But since it was so persistent I dared myself to text the person saying I won't answer unknown numbers and asking who it was.

Turned out it was Mom. She had lost her phone a few weeks ago and had decided to get a new number and phone.  Typical! I told her in light tones how I had reacted and she just chuckled. Ah well, mystery solved. Although, I am now nervous about the phone again