*poss trigger* dissociative flashbacks

Started by LittleBird, September 26, 2017, 07:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBird

I have these sometimes. I think they're flashbacks of dissociation, they come back like intrusions sometimes during moments when I'm irritated/upset.

AphoticAtramentous

I haven't felt this way before, honestly. But it doesn't sound pleasant! I hope there's someone around who can relate to this though. ^^

Athena

Hi Sunrise.

I don't think I have heard the term 'dissociative thoughts' before,so I'm really not familiar with the meaning.But I can relate to your post,and to me,those sound kind of like things that may be triggering for you?For example the fabric triggers thoughts/emotions from the past?

I know there are many things that are triggering for me,even just looking outside and seeing the Fall colors can make me feel emotions from long ago or cause me to think about a traumatic experience.

Athena

Ah,I think I get what you're saying now.

My unprofessional guess would be if you still do that when you're irritated or upset it would probably mean you are still dissociating at times rather than it being flashbacks of dissociation.

Everyone dissociates,in different ways and in varying degrees,and to me it sounds like that's the way you do.

Athena

I'm not sure what the word for it is either.

Hopefully you are in therapy and can ask your T?

BlancaLap

What are these? Some kind of flashback where the feelings make you dissociate, or a memory of a moment when you were dissociated?

LittleBird

I've not found out for sure yet. My dissociation is severe at times and I have amnesia/places in my head I can't go yet. I believe they're flashbacks to experiences when I'd dissociated, but managed to focus on intricate details/patterns to keep my mind "safe". It varies in severity.

BlancaLap