Important abbreviations

Started by sinthia820, August 28, 2017, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinthia820

I just felt like maybe someone should bring attention to this. Abbreviations do not help new readers. They are not universal or excepted abbreviations one can search in a database, so what ever is trying to be said is often lost with no translation. I don't know if others feel this way but this discourages me to the point of almost not wanting to try and decipher what's being said, and I love that I've found a message board with support and suggestions but if I can't understand what is being said then no help is received. This is an example:  "since I am conscious about what has happened to me now, and have gone NC with my uM, and VLC with Nd...I couldn't help but feel like they have NOT been supportive, or even care to converse with me" My only guess at what this says is 'no contact' 'undeserving Mom' and 'very little contact' with 'Normal dad' and that makes no grammatic sense. And took me forever to come to.

I'm hoping maybe this might bring attention to abbreviations and let people know they are often confusing and I'm hoping maybe some people will consider not using them as much? Sorry if this comes across as accusing. Not my intention at all.

Three Roses

Hi, sorry about that. We got tired of having to type them out repeatedly. :P
NC is no contact, LC is limited contact, VLC very limited.

UM is probably undiagnosed mom, ND is narcissistic dad. Here's a link to more, in our Resources section:
http://www.outofthestorm.website/acronyms/

JamesG

it's a good point, is it possible to have them at the base of each page?

Candid

:rofl: James.  You obviously haven't needed to refer to the acronyms page!

Blueberry

Quote from: sinthia820 on August 28, 2017, 09:21:28 PM
Abbreviations do not help new readers. They are not universal or excepted abbreviations one can search in a database, so what ever is trying to be said is often lost with no translation. I don't know if others feel this way but this discourages me to the point of almost not wanting to try and decipher what's being said

It's a good point, but we do get sick of writing them out all the time! When I'm replying directly to a new person I often write the words out and put the abbreviations in brackets (or vice versa). Maybe more people could do that?

I actually learned the abbreviations on here quite quickly, even though there are standard ones which I'd been using incorrectly. (e.g. I thought OP meant 'other poster' and then discovered on here that it's 'original poster'. Oops.)

Candid

Quote from: Blueberry on August 30, 2017, 12:02:18 PM
When I'm replying directly to a new person I often write the words out and put the abbreviations in brackets (or vice versa).

Oh Blueberry! :rofl: and :oops:, I'm sure I've done that, too.

QuoteI actually learned the abbreviations on here quite quickly...

:yeahthat: and I think that's the way to go.  I like it that we outsiders have our own language.

AphoticAtramentous

I'm personally fine with the abbreviations. If it makes other people's typing quicker and easier, I'm all for it.
I don't understand half of what ya'll are saying sometimes... XD But if I'm truly clueless I can just ask so, no biggie for me at least.

Candid

Quote from: AphoticAtramentous on August 30, 2017, 02:52:07 PM
I don't understand half of what ya'll are saying sometimes...

Nor do we.  :rofl:  It's part of CPTSD.

Blueberry

Quote from: Candid on August 30, 2017, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: AphoticAtramentous on August 30, 2017, 02:52:07 PM
I don't understand half of what ya'll are saying sometimes...

Nor do we.  :rofl:  It's part of CPTSD.

You seem to have the giggles, Candid  ;)
Laughing is very healthy, keep it up! It helps me too.

Candid

When I taught yoga I got my class to start off fake laughing in a circle.  Ha ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho. Within seconds people were howling and wiping tears because they were laughing so much at each other.  Afterwards, relaxed, smiling. and ready to 'work'.

Just an aside.  Carry on.

AphoticAtramentous

Quote from: Candid on August 31, 2017, 02:26:47 AM
When I taught yoga I got my class to start off fake laughing in a circle.  Ha ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho. Within seconds people were howling and wiping tears because they were laughing so much at each other.  Afterwards, relaxed, smiling. and ready to 'work'.

Just an aside.  Carry on.
lol You make me want to get into yoga, Candid.