Difficulty visiting dentist

Started by serene, August 20, 2017, 10:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serene

I find myself having a very hard time having to lie back down in the chair and having the dentist touch my mouth. It reminds me of the abuse I have sustained while growing up. I am wondering if any of you experience a similar fear. How do you cope with going to the dentist?
I guess for me it must be some sort of trigger but its so uncomfortable to explain. The last time I went, I dissociated completely and the dentist noticed my odd behavior. It was a complete feeling of suspension of time. I dont think I have ever dissociated so badly before. I just feel a lot of shame and am anxious about going back. I don't know if dentists are trained to deal with people who have been abused. I am worried if he will ask me any questions about how I was feeling when I come in for my next visit.
When I got a follow up call from him after my last wisdom tooth removal, he seemed a bit anxious and stuttered when he asked how I have been doing and how I was feeling. I was surprised that he called since its usually the other staff who follow up with a phone call. I don't want to be seen as a special case and am too ashamed to explain the reason why I behaved in such a manner.

Lingurine

Hi Serene, Your story reminds me of the horror I went through last spring, when I had to go to the dentist twice for a new crown. I'm sure this is trauma related and I totally get your anxiety about it. It's a horrible feeling of losing control, not so much pain, in my case, but it triggers a lot. Don't know what to say, :Idunno: other than that self care helped me. It never is a picknick and the feeling of helplessness about it is really bad. I feel for you. You can tell your dentist this, but I don't know if that helps.

:hug: for you

Lingurine

Dee

I hate the dentist and I just got some work done.  I finally got smart and found a female dentist, who is really sweet, that I am comfortable with.  I can't stand the feeling of being numb and won't get an anesthetic (I think it is abuse related).  She is good with that and goes slow to make it less painful.  The truth is I don't feel anything, not sure that is good.  I do safe scene imagery.  While she doesn't quite know that I learned that to cope with trauma she knows I do something.  I joke about the run I just did in my head.  I usually leave feeling like I did well.

Maybe you just haven't found the right dentist?  Or maybe there is something you can do to help you relax?  Make a plan.  I do plan my trip before I go.  I walk through it in my head.  It helps.  I also hold putty in my hand incase I get anxious.

serene

I am worried that female dentists are not strong enough to pull out wisdom teeth. I also have known female doctors who weren't gentle or kind...so I think there is no specific gender preference for me. I will implement breathing strategies the next time I go in for a root canal. I hate the closeness of it. I hate people being in my face or touching me. The same issue occurs when I have to get a haircut. I tend to delay going to a hair salon because its incredibly uncomfortable having strangers touch my hair.