Becoming an author - stories based on my experiences

Started by Fen Starshimmer, August 10, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fen Starshimmer

Hi all, I've been quiet on here over the last couple of months mainly because of some exciting new developments in my life which have led to a lot of work - writing kind of work.

It all started in May when I submitted a short story to a charity seeking stories of hope and art from survivors of child abuse, bullying and human trafficking. My story and art got selected and now I am working with the publisher of that book on a totally different project: a novella (a short novel) that draws on my own experiences of abuse and how I was affected in my younger days - not knowing I was suffering from CPTSD. I have received glowing feedback from the publisher and have signed a publishing agreement, so I hope, HOPE,  this is going to all work out, and the story will be published in eBook and soft cover as planned, and be a great read for young people and adults. My publisher said the story "evoked a lot of strong emotions" in him and a lot of teens will identify with it, and it should be a great counsellors tool. I would LOVE this to happen, so my experiences can benefit others.

I am cautiously excited at the moment. This is the stuff of dreams for me.

Fen (in dreamland)

woodsgnome

Here's to your willingness to serve others in sharing your own story; despite the pain and sadness it no doubt brought to the fore as you put words and creativity to the story, all in hope of helping those needing to find it for their own lives.

So to more HOPE....... :yeahthat: ...

And to your further success... :hug:

Three Roses

How terribly exciting! I would love to read this when it becomes available. Huge kudos to you!  :cheer:

Eyessoblue

So happy for you, I have often thought of doing that myself. Congratulations hope it all works out well for you.

Kat

Candid

Fen, that would be the stuff of dreams for me, too! Huge congratulations for being able to write about early trauma and elicit such a positive response. I know how hard it is to tell it like it was without the older and wiser perspective intruding.

I think being able to write about it has three great spin-offs: catharsis for us, comfort for others who've been through similar, and adding to the general public's awareness of CPTSD. I too look forward to seeing this when it's available. Well done, you!

Fen Starshimmer

Thank you everyone for your wonderful supportive words.  :yourock:

Three Roses, Candid - Will post a link when the release is announced.

Candid - you're right about not letting the older, wiser part to intrude when writing a teen character. This was actually where I had the most fun though, in allowing her (my teen self) some free rein to express herself (at certain points). Writing it was cathartic for me, and I think publication will magnify that feeling ten fold. Hope it's going to help create more awareness of CPTSD and reach out to young people struggling. 

Woodsgnome - You summed up my feelings about the project very well. It wasn't easy going back to some old dark places, but a necessity to bring the story to life.

Kat + Eyessoblue - thankyou. Best of luck Eyessoblue with your writing. It could happen to you too!

Fen X

Rainydaze

Oh wow, I'm so excited for you! What a wonderful thing to do for young people who are having a hard time. I look forward to reading it.  :yes: :cheer:

Fen Starshimmer

Thank you Blues Cruise. I will post the link - or ask one of the moderators to post the link - depends how confident I am feeling.

Would love some feedback from people on here.

EliseB

Your novella sounds very interesting. I hope it's going well and would love to read it when it becomes available. I also believe in the healing power of writing, whether it's ever published or not. You mentioned a short story that had already been selected. Is this collection available to read? In the same vein, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for fictional stories or novels that have helped them along the road to healing? Thanks and happy writing!

Contessa

I missed this post at the time of writing, so well done Fen! I hope it it progressing well months after, and am with the others on looking forward to reading :)