Never heard of this before

Started by Liz, June 24, 2017, 06:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liz

Hello, I have been working with a therapist because I recently have been dealing with tremendous anxiety and feelings of fear that are debilitating. He recently brought up that I am suffering from complex ptsd. We are now working on this but I am in the early stages of learning all of this and googled the subject and found this forum. Any advice for sources or even things to ask during my sessions. On one hand I am encouraged to have a base to work from, but on the other this is all so different to me. I have always been very strong and capable but now I feel lost and frozen in fear.

woodsgnome

Hi, Liz  :heythere:

So here's the website/book many on this forum will think of first:

http://www.pete-walker.com/

Much of the website is derived from the book/COMPLEX PTSD: FROM SURVIVING TO THRIVING. There are some others, but it's easy to get bogged down at this point. Walker's site and book are noteworthy for their 'feel'--he's been down the road himself, and communicates the various aspects of cptsd in a readable fashion (although it has a a sad overtone that makes the first read a tad difficult). One soon realizes there's a lot to this injury called cptsd; Walker's is a handy guide/intro to the landscape. There's lots of explanations here, but also hope for finding a way to live with its most debilitating effects.

It will take commitment, but it sounds like you've crossed that path already and are ready to move into finding your way with and through this.

As you explore some of the topics on this forum, there are many other books, videos, and other resources listed. I hope you begin to find them useful as you investigate further.  :hug:

sanmagic7

hey, liz,

welcome, so very glad you found us. 

i think it's pretty common to find out about this and suddenly feel lost.  c-ptsd is a terrible beast that we are battling here.  we're happy to help you with your battle.  i've found much support, kindness, and caring here when i've felt frozen and lost, weak and completely turned inside out.  the people here have helped me through some of the toughest times i've ever encountered.

i hope you keep posting and you find the help and support that you need. 

Fen Starshimmer

Hello LIz,
Welcome to OOTS, this wonderful community of people who understand.

Yes, it's good to know what you're dealing with. Although I'm not keen on labels, personally. I prefer to think of C-PTSD as a collection of symptoms arising from being trapped in an abusive environment for a prolonged period. No one is born with C-PTSD, it's not a personality defect or a disease. And the great news is that there are many ways to heal: reduce, even remove (in some cases) symptoms once the causes are correctly addressed. I only found out, quite by accident, 11 years ago that I had simple PTSD (by stumbling on a website about it) and since then have been on a journey of exploration and healing, now knowing it was C-PTSD all along. There have been ups and downs, eg therapists who claim to have expertise in trauma and abuse, but in reality are dangerously lacking. Thorough vetting is important, and trusting your instincts if the therapist is making you feel uncomfortable.

I have found journaling to be a great help in releasing emotions and helping to get clarity on situations and the bigger picture. I also do regular morning grounding meditations which helps release anxiety and fear and re-connects you to the Earth and helps you feel safe in your body.

Look forward to seeing your posts and updates.

:hug:

Kat

Welcome, Liz! 

Dr. Judith Herman, M.D. was the first, I believe, to propose the diagnosis of C-PTSD.  Her book Trauma and Recovery is a classic.  You might find that one helpful.  Woodsgnome mentioned the Pete Walker book from Surviving to Thriving.  I initially entered individual therapy because I'd gone to family counseling where my mother was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.  I've read tons of books on recovery over the last decade.  During that time, there's been an explosion of information about the effects of trauma and C-PTSD.  But, I have to say that Pete Walker's book is by far the one I most closely identify with.  It's as if he had lived my life as far as symptoms go.  As Woodsgnome said, Walker writes from personal experience.

I hope you find this site helpful.

As an aside, a number of people on this site have said they were diagnosed with C-PTSD.  I'm in the U.S., and while my therapist has said I'm suffering from C-PTSD, it is not an "official"  diagnosis since it is not included in the DSM-5.  I'm just wondering if it is recognized in other countries or if therapists everywhere are giving the diagnosis even though it's unofficial. 

Rainagain

Hi
Dsm5 is a diagnostic manual for the american psychiatric association.
As such I suppose every other country has its own tools for diagnosis which will differ slightly. I had a cptsd diagnosis in the UK so it must be recognised over here. It also seems that the DSM manuals get updated every now and then to reflect what the US psychiatrists are avtually doing so it will always lag behind how the practitioners are actually doing their work as it seems to be a digest of sorts.

dsgirl

My T mentioned CPTSD to me, and I'm in Europe so I'm assuming its recognized here, but unsure if it's a clinically diagnose-able disorder.