Self-Compassion Kristin Neff

Started by BeHea1thy, April 13, 2015, 12:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

Dr. Kristin Neff defines self-compassion as having 3 parts: self-kindness, common humanity and mindfulness. The following site offers definitions, practices, tests and resources. A great way to move from criticism and judging to self-love and kindness.

http://self-compassion.org/the-three-elements-of-self-compassion-2/

Sandals

This sounds a lot like my T's approach, except she uses self-love and sameness in replacement of the first two. I have learned that sameness is sooo critical. It helps you connect back in to your community, which is so hard to do when you've struggled with dissociation and feare.

Widdiful Falling

Awesome website. Thanks. I really enjoyed the TEDx talk in there.

Rrecovery

Thank you for the link and the thread BH  ;D  Helpful tools.  I have found that inner-child work facilitates a deep and lasting self-compassionate disposition; it is often much easier for someone to feel compassion for their inner-child than for themselves.  And when you extend compassion to the very core of yourself, it goes deeper and becomes more permanent.

Kizzie

Frustration at not having things exactly as we want is often accompanied by an irrational but pervasive sense of isolation – as if "I" were the only person suffering or making mistakes.  All humans suffer, however. The very definition of being "human" means that one is mortal, vulnerable and imperfect.  Therefore, self-compassion involves recognizing that suffering and personal inadequacy is part of the shared human experience – something that we all go through rather than being something that happens to "me" alone.

I'm just catching up on posts so I'm late to this thread but wanted to say thanks for the link BH  :hug:  All of what she had to say resonated with me, but in particular the above because it's a new feeling for me (and I suspect for most of us).  I am realizing more each  day by coming here how much I do share the good, the bad, the ugly, and the not so ugly.  Here I actually have that shared human experience which I did not get much of in the past because of the isolating nature of CPTSD. Thanks all, couldn't think of a better group of people to share with :hug: