EMDR

Started by Dee, May 03, 2017, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

While inpatient I did EMDR three times.  It was nothing like I had thought it was going to be.  It really does help you process things faster.  I thought that it was always over a specific memory and I was afraid of losing control.  Neither was true.  I'll outline my first, and most helpful session.

I actually chose to do it on guilt.  In my head I created a picture with the word below it and ranked it on a scale of 1-10.  Then we did a few cycles of the therapist doing the hand motions.  Between each cycle I told her what I had thought of.  I just went through all kinds of different images and memories.  I never once wasn't aware of what was around me, I heard noises outside the door and could stop at any time.  In the end my picture changed and I was way lower on the scale.  The super cool thing is now when I think of it my new picture comes to my mind.  The first picture was my dad sitting in court, very powerful looking.  The changed picture was him laying, in a collapsed way, on the bench, not powerful at all.  It was like he took the responsibility. 

I also did it on my ex-marriage, current family relationships, and telling my kids about my past.  So I guess I did it four times, not three.  I really reacted and sobbed each time.  I needed that.  I don't think people usually cry like I did, but for a person who has trouble crying it was a relief that I was very much needed.

Elphanigh

Thank you for sharing Dee. I appreciate hearing about your experience a lot. I have started emdr and have had a bit of a rough time at the start with it, so it is good to hear that it can help. I am hoping it will do so for me. Glad you seem to be at a much better place from what I have read other people say. I am too new here to know, but I am glad  you are back and sharing.

Healing Finally

Hi Dee  :wave: - your post gave me chills!! I have not done EMDR but it sounds like a powerful experience. Wow, thanks for sharing!   :hug:

Eyessoblue

Thank you Dee, this was useful to me, have been really worried about how the process works and also worried about how it may affect me personally, I hear about people being left with anger issues afterwards or passing out as it's too much to process. This gives me hope.

sanmagic7

dee, thanks so much for sharing.  this is the emdr with which i am familiar and in which i believe.   these are the kinds of experiences i've had both with clients and with myself.  so glad it was a positive experience for you.  and, just so you know, i have had the sobbing when i've gone through it, but i know it was because i was finally able to get rid of so much toxin through my tears.   it was both cathartic and brought relief.  my pictures diminished or changed just like you described.  very powerful, indeed!

and, just like you, it wasn't always a specific memory that was processed.  sometimes an emotion (like you described), a thought, or a feeling.  i found emdr, in its very best way, utilizes what works best for the client.  always. 

i'm just so glad you're back, safe, and hopeful.  wonderful to hear from you.  big hug!

Eyessoblue

Sanmagic, just listening to what you have to say about EMDR makes me feel so more positive about it, this is what I'm hoping the effect will be for me and how it's been explained to me. Thank you, as always you make me feel so much better!!