Need a recommendation on a self help book.

Started by KestrelsFlight, March 17, 2017, 05:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KestrelsFlight

I have CPTSD from past damaging events in my life.

Recently, 10 months ago, the relationship with a family member was cut off. I am suffering mentally. I became very physically ill. For reasons I need to understand now, I have developed a few OCD things that I do and that go through my mind.

Can anyone direct me to a really good self help workbook kind of book? Something so that I can learn more about what is going on in my mind? I am very interested and need to know more. I need to calm this thing that is going on.  I see lots on Amazon.com and they all look good. Any ideas?

Three Roses

Bessel Van Der Kolk's book "The Body Keeps The Score" has been invaluable to me in understanding how trauma affects the brain, as well as listing several different treatments that have been shown to be effective. Fascinating and well-written.

KestrelsFlight

ThreeRoses, thank you for this recommendation. I am checking it out.

Wishing you a good day,

K

Healing Finally

Hi KestrelsFlight  :wave:

Here's what I posted earlier this week in the "CPTSD Related Work Books" topic

I'd like to share, if it hasn't been shared already, I've picked up a really good book that I'm just starting to read.

The Complex PTSD Workbook
A Mind-Body Approach to Regaining Emotional Control and Becoming Whole
by Arielle Schwartz, Phd
Copyright @ 2016 by Althea Press, Berkeley, CA

Even though I've only read the first chapter, it's been extremely helpful for me.  My eyes have recently been opened about my c-ptsd (thank you out of the fog and out of the storm) and I am feeling reassured that I can now gain confidence again.

It's been very difficult for me to acknowledge and accept my childhood emotional trauma as it was not obvious, but the more I read about c-ptsd, and especially with the help of this book, I am learning how to own my symptoms and work to release myself from their grasp.

Within the Foreword it states:  "Dr. Schwartz makes it clear that complex PTSD is a normal response or adaptation to non-normal life conditions that may be in a person's history." - I can totally relate!

What I really like about this book, and the current findings on C-PTSD, is the positive way of addressing childhood trauma; especially with the latest research on brain neuroplasticity; there is hope and we can change.

Here's a wonderful quote from the book, chapter 5, under "Healing Shame":
"...We cannot eliminate the so-called negative forces of afflictive emotions.  The only way to work with them is to encounter them directly, enter their world, and transform them.  They then become manifestations of the wisdom.  Our weaknesses become our strengths, the source of our compassion for others, and the basis of our awakened nature." - Dr. Joan Halifax, Buddhist teacher and author.

I wish you all strength on your road to recovery, sincerely, Healing Finally.