Transitional object

Started by Twinkletoes, January 19, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twinkletoes

Have any of you asked for or been given something from your therapist that you use as a "transitional object"?

sanmagic7

sorry, no.  i don't even know what that means.  maybe i've done it and didn't realize it.

Twinkletoes

Apparently it's something of their's or that they get for you which you basically use as a way to kinda connect with your therapist.... it's a bit like a baby that carries a soft blanket or teddy?

Dee

I have not done it, but it sounds like an attachment/bonding exercise.

My 6 year old nephew was in therapy and I believe his therapist gave him something.

Twinkletoes

Hi Dee, yeah I know its very common in children's therapy but seems it is pretty common with adults too.  The reason I asked this question was that my T lent me a book yesterday - not as a transitional object - just because it's about something I am interested in and it's made me realise that I am perhaps viewing it as one to a degree - I am enjoying reading it knowing it belongs to her, I am enjoying seeing her manuscript notes - knowing that when I see it in my house, in my bag etc that it is kinda a piece of her... I know that might sound silly.. I just wondered if anyone has had this conversation with their T or whatever?

Wife#2

I haven't had that experience with any of my therapists, but it honestly sounds wonderful.

Though it might not have been a transitional tool on purpose, it certainly sounds as if you are being allowed, and allowing yourself, to open to the idea of a bond with someone who equally welcomes the bond with you.

Yes, a book is a simple bond, but I've felt exactly what you're feeling when my sister left home and gave me some of her belongings. They were simple things, several books, a brush, some clothes. Each item was precious to me, not because of any inherent value, but because my sister showed her love of me in these simple, humble objects. That sister is the only one I felt truly bonded with from my FOO.

Even the things that I inherited from my beloved aunt didn't have the same power over me. I wasn't bonded to her as closely as I was to my sister.

Personally, I think it's a wonderful thing, to feel this connection. She is helping you and in a way nurturing you - which is a new experience for you. Read the book with pleasure, learn from it what you hope to learn. Return it and openly discuss how you've felt and what it feels like to give the book back.

sanmagic7

sustainable bonding.  sounds great!  thanks for explaining.  hugs!