Repeat Nightmares - Waking up and cannot go back to sleep - husband's snoring

Started by Rosie, October 10, 2016, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie

For over a year, I have had a significant number of nights of nightmares, suddenly waking up (3 am) and not being able to go back to sleep.  This experience is further heightened by my husband who snores (not loud).  It is a huge trigger for me from my experiences as a child.  I somehow associate snoring with the perpetrator.  I have tried so many things - kava, Gaba, meditation, etc., etc.  My husband uses snore strips which has helped. 
For as long as I can remember, I have had nightmares.  These nightmares seem characteristically different in some ways.  Perhaps, the difference is that the experience could be described as someone who has gone through torture.

If you have any experience with helping with sleep, snoring of a partner, or addressing the feelings of being tortured, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Dee

This is something I am finally starting to address in therapy.  I have recently started Image Rehearsal Therapy (IRM) you can read about it treatments for cptsd, general discussion thread. Basically, it is a therapy that helps you re-script the ending of your dreams.  Tomorrow is my second appointment so I really cannot tell you if it works or not yet.

I can remember having my first dream at the age of 10.  I remember it clearly because it was the first one and scared me so badly that I can dream it too.  My IRM therapist asked me how long I've had nightmares and I told her forever. 

Just curious, my ex never seemed to wake up, or seldom wake up during my dreams.  Does your husband?  I have always wondered if I am silent on the outside, while dying inside or did he just pretended not to notice so we didn't have to address the past.  He never ever discussed anything real in our marriage.

Three Roses

If you wake up at the same time consistently, it could be this:

http://www.drdeborahmd.com/do-your-adrenal-glands-wake-you-3-am

There is a "cocktail" that you drink right before bedtime that helps - 8 oz. orange juice, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Celtic salt.

ktwin0971

Hi Rosie,

I have struggled a lot with insomnia, nightmares and sleepwalking/talking.  I was at my wit's end and my therapist gave me a wave file he created that plays binaural beat music (like sound waves) - and he quietly speaks, using guided imagery. It helps to calm my mind.  It is a dropbox file.  The file lasts for an hour but it helps to fall asleep, and calm my mind.  When I am having a really rough time, I use the Jukebox App and loop the wave file to play all night long.  It has done wonders to help me sleep. I thought I was always going to need it, but after several months I only use it to fall asleep now.  :) (Sometimes I don't even need it to fall asleep.)

I loop through the night when I am having a rough time when nightmares and sleepwalking/taking return.

Another key - I use noise canceling earbuds. This is key.  I use the Bose earbuds - never liked ear buds before - they hurt my ears - but I swear by them.  I wake up in the morning and my ears don't hurt. 

I hope this helps as another option to consider.  Peace to you.