would this be dissociation?

Started by arashi, September 12, 2016, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arashi

Therapist asked what is it like in the moment for me, or if I was living in the moment more, something like that. I think I described words for past, present and future. she then commented on the fact that I called the present disgusting. I don't remember saying that, and I mean the words would have just came out of my mouth. I mean I think I said it when I try to remember it's like a floating memory, can't be sure I really said it.
I don't think I dissociate, tho T has questioned me on the fact that It might be a possibility that I do and have more than I think. but, if I am not aware that I do, how would I know?

ETA: I ran into a friend a while ago, and she knew that I was separated from ex, but I didn't know she knew this because it's not something I told her. apparently I did have an entire conversation with her last year, and told her then, and I can't remember that, at all!  so, as I said, had I not of ran into her I would have no idea, if that is, dissociation?

Three Roses

Yes, altho I'm no professional, that does sound like dissociation. There are varying degrees of dissociating, from mildly "spacing out" momentarily to losing blocks of time with no recollection. It's not an either/or, rather it's on a continuum, from what I understand.

Dutch Uncle

I'm not a professional either, and am just discovering I dissociate, but in a of the book we are doing on dissociation (the one you are working with with your T) there is this question in one of the homework assignments:
QuoteThere are various ways you can notice the presence of another part of yourself. Read the following examples and see if they fit your experience.  Below each example describe one experience of becoming aware of a part of yourself.

1.   You have lost time and discover that you have done something of which you have no memory, yet you know you must have done it
It looks like what you described with your friend fits the bill.

Quote from: arashi on September 12, 2016, 05:58:35 PM
I don't think I dissociate, tho T has questioned me on the fact that It might be a possibility that I do and have more than I think. but, if I am not aware that I do, how would I know?
The book and assignments are a tool to become more aware of dissociating. Give it time, and you will steadily become more aware and with your T develop tools to handle it.  :thumbup:

arashi

Thank you three roses, Dutch uncle.

when I first started therapy, actually seeing a councillor at that time, I didn't even think I had any anxiety, couldn't see it at all! 1.5 yrs later I'm dx'd with GAD, and SAD ( social anxiety).  now, tho, looking back, I totally see it.  have no idea how I functioned at that level of anxiety. started new meds for GAD, I think it's finally working as I can get out of the house now!

anyway, i understand now, that this too might just take me some time too really see it.