"Your Body Speaks your Mind"

Started by Ren, August 12, 2016, 06:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren

This title by Debbie Shapiro is my go-to for all the information that is happening to me.  Recommended.

Kizzie

Hey Ren - tks for the recommendation.  Can you tell us a bit about what it's about and why you like it? 

Also, did you want to start a thread to talk with others who have read the book?  If so that's great, otherwise I'll move this to the "Resources" section if you don't mind. 

sweetsixty

Looks really good Ren, I downloaded a sample from Amazon last night and read it. It's on my 'to read next list'.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Ren

Sorry I am late in replying.  I couldn't find the post.

For me the Shapiro books is empowering.  If the "problem" I have is about something happening for me I can reflect on it, journal about it and get some responses.   

I remember back a few years I had to be hospitalised for a bowel abscess.  So painful!  And later I realised that it was at the time my father was transferred into aged care with developing dementia.  As usual in the FOO nothing so upsetting was discussed (it was all before I discovered our true family trauma story) and only later did I realise through Shapiros book that I had trouble "processing" his decline and my conflicted feelings about him due to NPD mother's possessiveness of him.  For me the bowel area was about "processing" so I figured that was the cause and began to understand how the body holds onto our stories and can be a problem if we don't take it into account.

Sandstone