Exercise as a way to detach

Started by Alice97, July 27, 2016, 06:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice97

I am addicted to working out. When I am exercising I can forget all my problems (sometimes) and just focus on pushing my body to its limits. Sometimes I push it a little to hard, I suppose as a kind of self harm. But most of the time it helps me cope with life. When I'm completely exhausted physically I usually don't have the energy to have a panic attack. But I'm wondering if using exercise as an escape is a good or a bad thing? I mean, I know it's better than substance abuse or self harm or things like that but is it OK to use it as a way to detach? Or is that unhealthy?

Contessa

I'm no professional obvoiusly, but exercise is indeed a healthy option, good diversion, and it stimulates the release of endorphins to make you feel good :)

You may be answering your own question there about how much is too much. An escape sounds good and healthy. But exhaustion sounds excessive.

In my opinion, which others may or may not share, the word 'detach' has connotations of avoidance. Its good to detach sometimes when needed, but speaking as someone who recently fell apart from long term attempted detachment, I feel a lot healthier, happier and more in control now with the aid of therapy. Of course our experiences are most likely different, as will be our levels of resilience. I think what i'm trying to say is, there is only so much we can run from; if it keeps catching up then some form of resolution or closure is needed.

Puns are purely coincidental at present ;)

movementforthebetter

There can definitely be a masochistic side of excercise. Don't look it up if you aren't familiar because it's super triggering but there's a thing called fitspo? fitspiration? that is all about how virtuous it is to punish yourself to the point of exhaustion, injury, and physical illness in the name of supposed mastery. Very upsetting. If it is at that level, then I'd say yeah, excercise is harmful.

But getting into the zone and flow is a real thing and so is a runner's high. Both good things that have benefits!

But personally, I find that excercise doesn't solve any problems in my life. It just gives me a chance to clear the cobwebs. So if you aren't dealing with life because you spend every free chance working out or you are having health issues, it probably is avoidant and interfering. Only you can make that call. Your mileage may vary. Pun intended!   :hug:

Alice97

I think most of the time it's just a healthy outlet - a way to release those good-feeling endorphins as Contessa said. But if I get triggered during a workout I can have a sudden outburst of anger and end up overdoing it.  But most of the time it gives me a way to escape from triggers and zone out for awhile, to give me strength to face the world again. But yeah I'm going to have to make sure I don't end up using it to avoid facing things.

movementforthebetter -  I've heard of fitspiration, and I agree that it is very upsetting. Abusing your body is wrong even if it's through exercise. I don't think I'm at that level (although sometimes I get close), so I should be OK.

Dee

I ran through fractures that I got from excessive running in the first place.  When you start to exercise are you pushing through pain, or do you truly enjoy it?  Do you force yourself to do it, or do you want to do it?  Is it ever enough?  Do you feel extremely guilty if you didn't do enough?  I think you can answer these questions and know the truth.  I can promise you, excessive exercise can be extremely damaging.  I have done permanent damage I can never repair.  I will suffer for the rest of my life because of it.  There is such a thing as too much.

Some mornings I woke up in such a panic I couldn't get my shoes on fast enough.  I couldn't run fast enough, I could never escape.  For a little bit I did feel better.  I would zone, sometimes I wondered if I would get hit by a car.  But I kept having to do more and more until I was running for hours a day.  Funny thing, I still feel horrible, I never outran my problems.

Alice97

Most of the time I truly enjoy it and want to do it. And I can usually say enough is enough at the end of a given workout. I do usually feel pretty guilty if I didn't go as hard as I could and beat myself up for being lazy, but I can usually control those thoughts and keep them to a minimum. So I guess I don't think I'm excessive to the point of it being a real danger to my health, but I think I do have the tendency to go that route, so I'll have to be careful. I'm sorry you have irreparable damage Dee :( I certainly don't want to end up with that.  :hug:

felloutofthesky

I have done this a lot although recently have been able to slow down a little. I relate 100% to the being so exhausted that you can't have a panic attack anymore. One thing that has been immensely helpful - more than working out to the point of exhaustion every day - has been learning to box. That gets all kinds of panic and rage out of my system in a healthy, strengthening, targeted way without damaging my body. If someone can teach you the basis and you can get a cheap pair of gloves, it was absolutely life altering for me.  :)

Alice97

Quote from: felloutofthesky on July 28, 2016, 06:26:20 PM
I have done this a lot although recently have been able to slow down a little. I relate 100% to the being so exhausted that you can't have a panic attack anymore. One thing that has been immensely helpful - more than working out to the point of exhaustion every day - has been learning to box. That gets all kinds of panic and rage out of my system in a healthy, strengthening, targeted way without damaging my body. If someone can teach you the basis and you can get a cheap pair of gloves, it was absolutely life altering for me.  :)

I've actually really gotten into kickboxing lately, it helps me a ton also! Thanks for relating to me, it's always nice to hear I'm not the only one. That kind of exhaustion that prevents panic attacks is a strange feeling.  :hug:

healingjourney

My therapist told me that I was excessively competitive and could tell it was not going to change. She thought that I needed an outlet to compete with myself. Thus began my intense workouts. The other day I did about 15 minutes of some of the most torturous workouts in the heat until I almost passed out. I was not that close to passing out and I did stop before my goal time, however I think the point is that I set unrealistic goals, I think of myself as unbreakable, I almost want to see if I will break. I get something out of it. I get something out of making me feel different than other people because it's a reminder that I am different and I like to wallow in the idea that I will always be different. It makes being different feel better. I am mildly injured at the moment, and I am trying my best to give myself some recuperation time, but I'm certainly not babying myself. It's questionable if my injuries will heal or if working other body parts out will still aggravate the sore ones. I can say that this workout regimen makes me much happier, less anxious, sleep better, feel more fulfilled, have dreams and goals, and feel successful. I am a bit messed up when it comes to body image. I am pretty obsessed with my physique and never satisfied with it. I think I'm going to bring this up in therapy. Alice- I think as long as you make the exercise about the positives and look out for the negatives it is net positive for you.

Alice97

Agreed, healingjourney. That's the conclusion I've come to.

Hazy111

Isnt compulsive exercise a form of flight trauma in C-PTSD. I know a few people like this. They are always busy either working/exercising/or just doing?

Three Roses

In my opinion anything that's an addiction or compulsion falls into flight. I think.  :P

Helen

Does some of what is described fall under risk taking behavior? For me, sometimes I just love to either hike, bike, kayak, ski or swim, but sometimes I NEED to. When I need to, I refer to it as anxiety dumping. I have gotten hurt a few times, and my T at the time, thought it might be risk taking behavior, but I disagreed.