Do I have ptsd?

Started by Blindsided, July 22, 2016, 03:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blindsided

Hello
Ootf sent me this link. I'm wondering if I am suffering from ptsd.
The past year has taken its toll on me. From watching my life long best friend die from cancer. Then a couple of months later I was blown away when I found out through ancestry DNA while doing genealogy research that the man my mother claimed was my father was not in fact my biological father. Two months later I calmly approached her with my finding.  She denied it. Then dismissed it totally and changed the subject.  I've spent a year researching on my own trying to find who my father is. It's heartbreaking. 
Two months ago I confronted my husband about what I had always suspected but he made me believe I was just insecure...he's a cheater. I found evidence by accident on his computer.  I've learned recently while talking to a therapist that he shows many signs of  narcissism. I've always known something was wrong. This last argument resulted in two months of his silent treatment.  Now that I'm seeing things for what they are, I'm having moments of feeling panicked.  Anxiety comes over me. I feel shaky. I have to concentrate on my breathing and try and calm myself down. I'm trying to recognize what is making me feel this way when it's happening.  I've changed my ring tone and notification because I thought that might be causing it as well. I just want peace.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, we're glad you're here!

The more I read, the more I see how narcissism in a family member can be a cptsd-inducing situation. Ptsd and cptsd are different, and the treatment also varies.

There is disagreement in the health care community about cptsd. This link is to a printout: http:// www.blueknot.org.au/Portals/2/Fact%20Sheets%20Info/Fact%20Sheet_Health%20Practitioners.pdf (thanks, kizzie).

Some members here have backgrounds similar to yours. Only you can say whether or not you believe you have cptsd; but we will believe you! You've probably been gaslighted and invalidated into distraction from your search for authenticity. We won't do that.

Take a look at the Resources section here; Pete-walker.com also had some good info. Happy hunting!

Blindsided