Prolonged Exposure Therapy - Appropriate for CPTSD?

Started by exception, June 21, 2016, 07:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exception

So my therapist wants to go through PE. She's not familiar with CPTSD vs PTSD and I'm wondering if you have had experience with it. I'm worried that I have too many symptoms in various contexts to process much of it before our sessions end.

What do you think?

radical

Controlled exposure is essential, imo.
It's a tough one because part of cptsd is about avoiding triggers and the feelings that go with exposure, and that has to be worked on.  But I feel that the kind of exposure used with specific phobias, for example, can be very dangerous because cptsd not a discrete anxiety disorder, and there is a danger of becoming overwhelmed, making things worse, and feeling a failure.

But that is just my opinion.  I know people have benefited from this approach.

Danaus plexippus

Do you have control over how long it goes on or are you at the mercy of your T? I hope some of our members can fill in the blanks for you. I know nothing of this PE of which you speak.

exception

Hi, we have a limited time, so I was worried it might not be enough time - but I think that may also be my anxiety and uncertainty.

I also had a therapist in the past who was anything but trauma-informed so trust is difficult. I suspect it will be okay. My therapist has been nothing but helpful over our time working.

Danaus, Prolonged Exposure involves client-led immersion in a triggering situation both with the imagination and in real life, and that's a very simple description.

radical, I think I agree with you that because in my case multiple interrelated traumas kind of make isolating an event for exposure difficult. I have written a long list of potential triggers so I think that's helpful. You're supposed to rate the triggers in terms of intensity and work through them gradually, which I think reduces the risk of overwhelm.