Hello, new here :)

Started by SoftKitty, May 07, 2016, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoftKitty

Hi there.

I've decided to join the forum as I'm currently beginning to explore in my mind whether cPTSD would be an accurate diagnosis for me at this point in my journey.

I was diagnosed with BPD around 10 years ago at the age of 18, and though I certainly identify with elements of the diagnosis, there are others that never seemed quite 'right' for me - until I saw the description for cPTSD.

My childhood was quite an isolated one. My parents were kind but unable to protect me from the abuse I endured from an early age at the hands of another family member. I feel this had a considerable impact on my development.

Errorzone

First of all, even though I'm probably in no position to welcome fellow newbies, welcome to the forum. I hope it serves you well. I like your username by the way :)

I can relate to how you did some soul searching and pondering your own thought patterns in relation to your discovery of CPTSD. I also empathize certainly with you having an isolated childhood combined with the abusive circumstances of it, and how it interfered with being able to grow healthily. While it sucks that you had to go through them, I'm glad that you're seeking out help. It's always a promising sign.

Make yourself at home and interact with some people. If you need anything, even just someone to rant to, you can feel free to send me a message. I can't promise that I have all the answers but I can offer an ear to listen.

I hope your experience on this forum is insightful and helps you through whatever situation you are currently in.

SoftKitty

Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful reply. I very much like your username too!

I will definitely have a look around the forums, and, likewise, am here if you ever need to rant or ask questions (though I can't promise to be very helpful, I will care and offer a listening ear!)

Thank you again.

mourningdove

SoftKitty

Dutch Uncle

Hi SoftKitty  :wave: and welcome to Out of the Storm.

Quote from: SoftKitty on May 07, 2016, 09:17:35 PM
I was diagnosed with BPD around 10 years ago at the age of 18, and though I certainly identify with elements of the diagnosis, there are others that never seemed quite 'right' for me - until I saw the description for cPTSD.
As it happens to be, you wouldn't be the first one with a diagnosis of BPD who may fit cPTSD. Recently there was even a thread made on it: Misdiagnoses - BPD vs CPTSD.
QuoteI've decided to join the forum as I'm currently beginning to explore in my mind whether cPTSD would be an accurate diagnosis for me at this point in my journey.
Mind you, we are not Healthcare professionals, we are a peer-group of those who identify with cPTSD, either via an official diagnosis or without a formal one (like myself). I hope this site and community will be of help through your journey. If possible, at some point you might want to bring it up with your GP or other healthcare provider.
In any case, you're most welcome to have a look around and participate if and where you feel like it.

QuoteMy childhood was quite an isolated one. My parents were kind but unable to protect me from the abuse I endured from an early age at the hands of another family member. I feel this had a considerable impact on my development.
I can relate. It's so hard when our parents fail to protect us from harm in our childhoods, and it hurts even more when the abuse takes place in our supposedly safe home.
I hope and wish you are in a safer environment nowadays.  :hug:

Our Guidelines for All Members and Guests are here to ensure this a safe environment for you and it will give you an idea of the community we create with each other.

Welcome again,
:hug:
Dutch Uncle

Quote from: Vengeance Absolute on May 07, 2016, 10:15:43 PM
First of all, even though I'm probably in no position to welcome fellow newbies, welcome to the forum.
You're most welcome to do so, Vengeance Absolute. We don't distinguish between new and old members.
:grouphug: