Emptiness vs Meaning and Purpose

Started by HeadedForJoy, May 03, 2016, 05:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadedForJoy

When I am feeling empty, I realize it is me feeling like my life has no meaning or purpose. I read somewhere to make a list of 100 reasons why my life has meaning in order to gain some valuable insight. The problem is, I can only think of abstract things like: my life has meaning because I help stimulate the economy whe I spend money.

Can you give some examples of why your life has meaning? I think it would be great for everyone to read.

I know we are more than our job title, but since I have no job right now and I'm living off of savings and I don't have many friends I don't know how my life has meaning.

Please help by sharing your reasons.

Kizzie

Hi and welcome to OOTS HFJ  :heythere:   I don't know if you've done any reading about abandonment depression and/or the Inner Critic but they're quite prevalent in CPTSD and that makes it hard to come up with even a short list of reasons your life has meaning.  Maybe have a look at these two articles by Pete Walker (he's a therapist in the US who has and treats CPTSD):

Managing Abandonment Depression - http://pete-walker.com/managingAbandonDepression.htm
Shrinking the Inner Critic - http://pete-walker.com/shrinkingInnerCritic.htm

It seems to make a difference when you know why you're having difficulty with something like making a list, and then having some strategies for moving forward in recovery. 

meancat

Hello. I struggle with this a lot also. A lot of "I'm 49 and I have nothing to show for it" type stuff. When I am feeling this way I have to think of my 2 sons, they are 23 and 20 and in spite of what a mess I am they are beautifully making their way in this world and talk to me every day. I often wonder where they came from and have difficulty giving myself any credit for how they turned out. I think I am so grateful they aren't damaged. I think it is sad that "we" cannot see the purpose and meaning in our lives after surviving the turmoil of each of our pasts. I include myself in this. 😟

Peace.