Fear Mongering

Started by Jdog, January 30, 2016, 04:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

As a U.S. Citizen who pays close attention to politics and news items, it occurs to me that many if not all politicians running for President work to activate fear as a motivator when politicking.  Fear of immigrants, fear of terrorism, fear of general ruin.  Listening to interviews of those who favor the worst of these fear mongers, it is clear that many suffer from some sort of PTSD and live in terror most of the time.

It seems to me that in some respects, the politicians who prey upon fear rather than seeking to soothe fears are no better than the terrorists they claim to be protecting us from.  Really chilling.  I guess none  of this is new, considering all of history, yet it remains disheartening nonetheless.  It encourages me to be a purveyor of hope rather than despair as I go about my daily life.  It's a challenge, but one that can be met.

Dutch Uncle

Are you sure you posted this in the section/forum of your choice?

The Cafe perhaps, "symptoms of cPTSD" or "causes of cPTSD, other"?
I really wouldn't know, but to me, "welcome to OOTS" does not appear the 'right' place for this.

Kizzie

Did you happen to catch any of the last election in Canada JDog?  Our new PM (Trudeau) won in  large part because he called out the politicians who were using fear mongering, mainly our then PM (Harper).  He also refused to get into the negative campaigning that is typical of political parties in full campaign mode.  And it worked, he got a majority when he was in last place coming into the election! 

I love the idea of being a purveyor of hope  :thumbup:   Perhaps those of us who have CPTSD need to be bigger consumers too. 

Hopefully I'm not taking this thread sideways, but your post got me thinking about the fact that we talk a lot about the ICr, but not about an Inner and Outer Advocate.  If we have an Inner and Outer Critic, why not an Inner and Outer Advocate?  I suppose that's what recovery is about in large part but why not give it a name? Perhaps If we give it a name though it then becomes much more real.  "It" being the part of us which is the voice of reason, caring, positives, etc.... advocates for us and for others, does not succumb to fear....  our counterbalance to the I/OCr.

NB:  Would you be OK if I moved this to the  "Inner/Outer Critic" sub-forum?

Jdog

Hi Dutch and Kizzie

Sorry for putting the post in the wrong spot.  Please do move it.  I wrote it after a long run this morning and was not in my most "rational" mind I suppose!

Kizzie-  thanks much for your idea of Inner and Outer Advocate.  Those categories could easily be in the Recovery section, I think.  I didn't realize that your PM Trudeau had been successful due in large part to his refusal to do fear mongering.  I would hope that such kind and rational behavior could take hold here in the U.S., but it feels like everyone is catering to the lowest common denominator in a race to the bottom of Maslow's Hierarchy!

Anyway, thank you once again.  May hope and positive energy be our mainstay.

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: Jdog on January 31, 2016, 02:16:06 AM
Kizzie-  thanks much for your idea of Inner and Outer Advocate.  Those categories could easily be in the Recovery section, I think. 
:thumbup:

Here's a nice article on this: http://www.traumahealed.com/articles/100-percent-on-your-own-side.html
excerpt:
QuoteMy Inner Critic has a lot to say on the subject of Inner Nurturers. "Silly. Self-indulgent. Dangerous. What will other people think?" My shoulders hunch defensively toward my ears.
My Inner Nurturer helps me breathe through my defensive reaction and observe the criticism without letting it knock me off course. When I connect with being 100% on my own side, I feel settled and calm at my core, even during emotional storms

Jdog

Thanks for the reference, Dutch.  I checked it and liked the positive and motivational reminders.

Kizzie

I will definitely give some thought to adjusting the Recovery section to include ideas for recovery (such as nurturing your Inner and outer advocate). We do have a "Tools for Recovery" but it's not overly active;  perhaps it just needs a new title like "Ideas for Recovery" instead of "Tools" which is a bit formulaic.  Great link Dutch, her material resonates so deeply with me I find.

JDog our new PM and his cabinet are doing their level best to make this a much more positive, inclusive government so fingers crossed he can get the job done.  He gave so many of us hope that things could be different.   I am absolutely astounded that Trump is still in the lead, *!?!?!    :aaauuugh:  It's a race to the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy for sure (love it), and how scary is that?! 

Jdog

Well, y'know Kizzie, thinkin' for yourself is just so dang hard!!  Better to let a flaming narcissist do it for ya, so it would appear.  And now that he's been endorsed by the woman who can see Russia from her house in Alaska, it's smooth sailing for lemmings. 

Sorry....my sarcastic side got the best of me there.  But I do worry for my country and also know that I can only do my best within my small sphere of influence.  Oh, well.

Kizzie

lol with a  :hug:  -  very, very unsettling for sure.

jala

I don't think you posted this in the "wrong section" I have been undergoing workplace bullying after moving to a Southern US state (big mistake). Watching the fear mongering and hatred of minority groups by the candidates and knowing that the US has absolutely no protection against workplace bullying feels personal and very connected to the C-PTSD that I have just become aware of.

Jdog

Jala-

Yes, workplace bullying is very real and very damaging.  I am sorry you are experiencing such treatment. It seems to me that bullies have a sixth (one might say "sick") sense of how to locate those of us whom have had prior trauma and know just how to mistreat us in a way that feels so damaging.

The fact that we have several bullies running for President validates their thinking (to them) and makes this all the worse.  I encourage you to continue writing on this forum and also to google "workplace bullying" as there is an organization specifically geared toward this topic.  I myself was on the receiving end of bullying for the better part of four years, and am now not being bullied because the three who did the evil are no longer at my place of employment.

Hang in there.  You are not alone, and don't deserve this treatment.

JDog