Therapist with/without traumacompetence

Started by Convalescent, January 09, 2016, 05:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Convalescent

Ever since I became aware of the fact that i have C-ptsd/trauma, I've always set out for a therapist with experience/competence within trauma. I had one earlier, but she became ill and isn't available as of now. I'm on the waiting-list for a new therapist (which I should have within a week or so), which unfortunately has no trauma-competence. No more than every other "standard" therapis. I thought I'd give it a go, but I'm quite ambiguous after watching Thespartanlifecoach, which has quite a firm take that the therapist need to both have trauma-competence and experience him/herself. Not that thespartanlifecoach's opinions is the one and only truth, but I think he has a lot of experience, and a lot of words of wisdom that I grow on. And, as I've said, I want to have a therapist with competence within this field to begin with... trauma is such a delicate field, and I don't want to have to educate a therapist into it. That would be meaningless, of course.

What do you think? Do the therapist have to have a background from trauma/PTSD/C-PTSD to be effective as a therapist when you have C-PTSD?

woodsgnome

Therapy is a tricky business, but look who's talking--I've had 9 t's if I've counted right. Some were longer duration, the best one left the region. My severe dissociation and other habitual responses as a 'freeze' type (per Walker's 4f/cptsd typology) makes for a bumpy experience(s) with therapy, and I tended to bail either via spirit/dissociation or right out the door a couple of times.

But I've circled back to where you seem to be--I felt enough confidence in the therapeutic setting to miss it when it's not available. So I too have decided to head back to see a t, thanks to a medical center's expanding its offerings and making a t available through a local med clinic (I live in a fairly remote backwoods/rural area). After some brief vetting about the new t's knowledge, I've decided to jump back in, but like you I'm also ambiguous (and a little fearful) as to what lies ahead with this route.

The counter is I've done even more, albeit not always well focused at times, self-work without a t. At least this one says she isn't 'top-down' but 'partnership-oriented'. Good words, but we shall see (always skeptical). It will take discipline on my part to keep from drifting into my natural dissociation and bail-out pattern, but I'm going ahead as I need the potential boost a new t might help me achieve. Realizing, of course, that the most critical work remains my own, with the t's input.

All of which cycles back to therapy being a tricky business. There's so many levels to a good match--my last one was high on folksy good vibes but low on what he seemed to know--I'm not interested in someone 'acting' the part of a jovial buddy; I want/need competence, as you do. Which is why I fear but also anticipate the process ahead of me.

As you point out, "trauma is such a delicate field, and I don't want to have to educate a therapist into it." I hear you, but I too am at a point where I'll hazard the waters with this new t and ride with what happens.

'Educating' the t a little might even be useful, as it reinforces what you know on your own and might (big IF) click with what the t does know. Those of us with our own experience have insights a t doesn't necessarily have. In therapy we can meet and maybe serve both parties. So it also depends on how flexible the t is, to the point of acknowledging that you come with a depth of knowledge and experience, too.

So, to your question: "Does the therapist have to have a background from trauma/PTSD/C-PTSD to be effective as a therapist when you have C-PTSD?" It would be preferable if they did, but it's also a fine line as to whether they have enough other expertise/smarts in their toolbox to provide you with sufficient grounding to ignite the spark you need.

May your next steps on this path bring you the good you are seeking.  :hug:

snailspace

I hope you find a suitable therapist Convalescent.  For me now it would be essential to find one versed in cptsd trauma having been retraumatised by my previous one - someone who could recognise the difficulties I was facing rather than just dismiss me as not "open or willing", "challenging" and "resistant" during sessions.  I thought finding one who understood narcissism was crucial - well it is but who also knows about cptsd.   I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did.  Good luck with your search.

mourningdove

Quote from: snailspace on January 23, 2016, 07:58:58 PM
For me now it would be essential to find one versed in cptsd trauma having been retraumatised by my previous one - someone who could recognise the difficulties I was facing rather than just dismiss me as not "open or willing", "challenging" and "resistant" during sessions.  I thought finding one who understood narcissism was crucial - well it is but who also knows about cptsd.   I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did. 

Same here.

Kizzie