Daniel Levinson "seasons in a man's life"

Started by steamy, December 01, 2015, 05:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamy

A few years ago I read "The seasons of a man's life" by Daniel Levinson.

The book is a number of studies of subjects as they pass from leaving school to late adulthood. It models that all people must pass through certain stages in their development. I picked up the book again a couple of weeks back and the CPTSD cases jump right out!

As far as I see, in common with my own experience, decades of trying hard, seeing ones  own potential, but that potential was never recognised by others, as we know we are sending out "don't trust us" signals. Ultimately, the cases either settled for much less, going from dreams of middle management to a blue collar job, or being unable to hold down a job, losing ones family and becoming destitute. Both guys that I identified suffered significant health issues.

The book is now 25-30 years old but still valid, it would be good if this could be updated to see how the generations are coping with modern technology, deskilling and outsourcing.

Levinson also conducted studies of the lives of 45 womnen over 25 years, the study is now dated and to some degree has lost most of its validity in modern society.

Dutch Uncle

Thanks for posting this. It looks like a worthwhile recourse. I'll try to pick up on a copy of it.  :thumbup:

edit: typo.