confused

Started by foggy, November 28, 2015, 10:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

typed lots of revelations here,and cannot find them again,never been on any forum before,do not know how to navigate this site,want to be a part of a supportive community,maybe was timed out,don't know,but can't keep trying to talk,need some help with the way forward,slightly desparate

woodsgnome

Hi Foggy, hope you keep trying as there should be some help for you here from other members. I'll try and lend a hand; I never thought I'd get the hand of 'puters either, but after loads of practice, can manage to get around much better.

Okay. Presumably you can make it in using your "foggy" nickname on line 1 and whatever your passcode # on next one. If you do indeed get on, and want to see what you've posted so far, click on your name "Foggy" again.

That should bring up your "profile" page. On the left of that page is a column marked "Profile Info" in a light blue bar. Then, directly under the "Profile Info" there is a bold letter heading title Summary. Then, under that, there are 2 lines; the first is called "Show stats" and the second says "Show Posts". Click on "Show Posts" and that should bring up your entries (3 so far that I see).

If you want to see responses to what you posted, click on the "headline" of your post (example 3 Welcome and Please Introduce Yourself/first post.  That will bring up a column of entries from the people who have listed in that category. Look for your "headline" on the Subject column or your name on the Started By column further to the right.

Also, whenever you first enter the site and sign in, there will be a Hello Foggy first page. Under your name, there will be 2 choices: the 1st says "show unread posts since last visit" and the 2nd says "show new replies to your posts". Click whichever one you'd like to view and those will show you what's been posted in each category.

Hope that helps. It's valuable to have your input here, so I hope you can get on whenever you want. Once you master the right places to click, it should get easier. Any probs, ask again...there's probably folks who can describe the how-to's better, but just wanted to help out if possible.  :hug:

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: foggy on November 28, 2015, 10:57:43 PM
typed lots of revelations here,and cannot find them again,never been on any forum before,do not know how to navigate this site,want to be a part of a supportive community,maybe was timed out,don't know,but can't keep trying to talk,need some help with the way forward,slightly desparate

Hi foggy  :wave:

I'm so sorry to hear your revelations have somehow not made it to the site.
You mentioned being 'timed out'. When you do log in, do you choose a specific time-frame, or do you log in "forever"?

If you choose, for personal preference, a limited time-frame, you might indeed get 'timed-out'.
Meaning that when you hit the button "post", you'll get a screen to require you to log in again, and what you have typed will, unfortunately, be lost.

You could alternatively, choose to write anything you want to post here in a text-editor-program while off-line, and when you're done, log in to the site, and copy-paste that to the post you want to make.

If you have any further questions on technical difficulties you can post them at Technical Information and Questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

Welcome, and I'm looking forward to future postings.
Good luck.

:hug:
Dutch Uncle.

foggy

thanks woodsgnome anddutch uncle for your replies,bought a note book and wrote down the protocol,spent some time looking around,probably should have done that at the start,given some guidence from older and middle daughters.probably in too much of a rush,bought a chromebook,password protected,probably cause some grief,but heyho whats new.have'nt smiled in a long time but mention of"text editor program and copy and paste "seen it done by daughters" but i am a one finger typist ,so  wry smile.thought it best just to stay logged in rather than get timed out,and lose what i post.i think i was just wanting to "splurge"everything and of course how do you condense 55 years into a few paragraphs,so spending a bit of time trying to get my thinking straight.pen and paper still have their place,oldest daughter just passed me this"between stimulus and response there is a space.In that space is our power to choose our response.In our response lies our growth and our freedom"seems appropriate

papillon

Quote from: foggy on December 02, 2015, 01:41:07 AM
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

This is great! I need to remind myself of this often!

arpy1

Quote"between stimulus and response there is a space.In that space is our power to choose our response.In our response lies our growth and our freedom"

wow! that one hit right between the eyes.   :thumbup:

good luck, foggy, can relate to the steep tech learning curve you are experiencing!  i have three years on you, and tech is a growth area for me too  :stars:

foggy

should have referenced this quote,by a man called viktor frankl,holocaust survivor, find him on an early ted talk and wickipedia,pleanty of other inspirational quotes.just been reading on introduce yourself,by"self reliance and loneliness",just identify so much,fortunatlly or perhaps unfortunatly my three daughters are all adults now,and no matter how much i tried to protect them,they all are damaged in different ways,so still trying to support and explain.youngest at the time when the"atom bomb"hit was already showing signs of eating disorder/self harm/suicide attempts at age 12,still playing a supportive role,middle daughter definitly comfort eats,oldest ,despite ,a masters degree ,and training towards a doctorate in clinical psychology,treats her husband as a scapegoat.still trying to break the cycle.don't think iam going to do much more introducing myself,i recognise myself in so many other peoples stories here,and i hope that in any way possible we,who are survivors will strive to help each other.Tried to start a new paragraph,didn't work,but at least started with a capital,promised myself that i would try at least to end on some positives,so here goes1.Give as much time and resource as you can to those that are worthy,do not waste your time on those who prove themselves unworthy,2,coffee/booze/drugs do not help,3,i always have at least 6 cards already written,sealed envelopes,stamped,post them to myself-never know which one i am going to recieve.4,confront injustice to others,because that is the equal and opposite reaction to injustice to ourselves,5,work hard to break the cycle,6,quote from the dalai lama,"all seek happiness.none seek suffering",7,"endeavour to perservere",line from the film "the outlaw josie wales",8,be kind and compassionate,9 do not be defined by a "complex" set of circumstances that we did not choose,sorry no number 10,when i figure that one out i will post it,kind thoughts to you all

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: foggy on December 08, 2015, 01:31:10 AM
don't think iam going to do much more introducing myself,i recognise myself in so many other peoples stories here,and i hope that in any way possible we,who are survivors will strive to help each other.
You're most welcome, foggy, and I share your hope and wish. This is what most of us are here for.  :thumbup:

Reading your story on your daughters you might find help and support in this sub-forum (among the many other fora):
Our Relationships with Others ยป Parenting

What a wonderful list! I particularly liked the "postcards-to-myself"! Lovely.

Looking forward to seeing you around,
:hug: