Hello (triggers?)

Started by emme, October 21, 2015, 02:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emme

Hello! I am new here. My spouse found this site and directed me to it. I read the descriptions of C-PTSD and wow! It sounds like me.

I am, unfortunately, in the midst of a horrible custody battle, which has brought a lot of things to the surface. Things that I had thought I had packed neatly away in a box in the far reaches of the attic so that I could deal with them when I was ready. That seems to not be the case.

My former spouse and I were married for nearly ten years. It was abusive: physically (some) as well as verbal, emotional, financially, and mentally abusive. Although we have been divorced for four years, it has been a road to even acknowledging and dealing with any of my "stuff." It seems that the history of my youth (emotional neglect and non--familial sexual assault) made great fodder for an abusing personality to dominate and control. Now that we have a court battle soon, everything that I encountered with him seems to be tumbling out.

Anyway, I wanted to say "hello" as I am reading through threads and hope that I can make sense of my self.

Kizzie

Hello and welcome emme  :wave:  I'm sorry to hear you have a custody battle to deal with and that it has brought many things to the surface you weren't quite ready to deal with. With CPTSD, present day trauma often triggers past trauma and understandably it can feel very overwhelming.

I don't know if you've ever considered that your former spouse might have a personality disorder (PD), but if so our sister site Out of the Fog (http://www.outofthefog.net/), is for people who are dealing with a PD person.  Not that I am suggesting you shouldn't be here, it 's just that it may also help you as you are facing such a difficult time. Dealing with a PD person in court is familiar to many there unfortunately.

Again welcome, glad you found your way here and hopefully it will be helpful to be here and supported by others who have CPTSD.  :hug: