Using "Family Roles" as a means for an exit-strategy.

Started by Dutch Uncle, September 21, 2015, 12:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

For the past days I've been listening to this YouTube video time and again.
And I must say: it makes it pretty clear to me I have been the Scapegoat, and still am the Scapegoat.

This part is essential for my experiences with TherapistMom:
QuoteFor the scapegoat will be handed disregard, and/or punishment for doing well. And the reward, of a little less overt abuse or even occasional expression of support, if she fails to thrive and accepts her role.
Many Scapegoats have reported that the only time that they felt their mother supported them, was when the supportive act fostered and reinforced the scapegoats inferiority, dysfunction or weakness.
@ 14:17 in the video. Narcissist Offspring The Role of a LIfetime Scapegoat

Good grief.
Also earlier in the video the Vlogster speaks on the younger child (I'm more than four years the minor of my siblings) getting marked the Scapegoat, and the siblings reinforcing that, going along with it. (Naturally i'd say. How could my siblings not copy the example of my 'mother'?)

NB: I also like the fact she mentioned that the Golden Child (which might well be my DramaSis) might develop HPD, Which I think she has. What is relevant in any case is that my 'sis' has no respect or appreciation for me, and that DramaMama has fought tooth and nail to keep me in the relationship I had with my sister, even when I made it perfectly clear to my mother I was not putting up with DramaSis' behavior anymore. This was particularly strong when I started setting boundaries (through actions, not just words) in the years leading up to my NC with DramaSis. I had quite a few fights with DramaMama over this. I might even say that the LC period before my NC involved both setting and maintaining boundaries with both DramaQueens, and the LC and NC with both of them went hand in hand.