What Do I Do?

Started by IFeelSoAlone, September 18, 2015, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFeelSoAlone

I feel like that I am not getting very far in therapy. Now, that being said I will obviously explain.  I have been dealing with being flooded by flashbacks for the last several months.  I get them at any time of day, in any location and no matter what I do I cannot seem to slow them down or make them stop.  My therapist says that this is normal and that it is part of the process.  I understand that, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to sort stuff out.  I am not slamming my therapist at all, I love her and she understands me so much.  She understands me better than anyone else does.  I guess what is bothering me is that I feel like I am stuck in one spot in therapy, and honestly I am sure I am getting somewhere it is just so much and so difficult.  I know that I am getting somewhere, it is just going so slow.  It is 14 years of abuse that I am trying to come to terms with and work through.  That is a lot to work through.  Anyways, I am just rambling, not real point to this post. Guess I just wanted to be heard

tired

I had a similar problem with my analyst. I think I needed two therapists. One for the deep work in unconvering things and another to keep me alive and functioning in the world the rest of the day in the aftermath of the 45 minutes of the main therapy.  I should have set up someone else, either a behavioral therapist or a psychiatrist for meds, before I started delving into stuff and I'm mad that he didn't suggest it to me.  I don't think he realized how bad it was for me.  Or if he did he just figured, it's part of the process.  Which is true.

BigGreenSee123

Hi IFeelSoAlone.

I can hear you. I've had those days where it feels like each moment is a battle. It's not easy but you've made it this far and it seems like you are aware that you're heading in the right direction. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Is there a soothing activity you like to do, something you can fall back on when things get particularly tough? I have found that getting outside and/or moving around can help. When I'm really in a bad spot I can just walk and walk for hours. It may not magically fix anything but it might help a bit.