Stephen Levine's "Guided Meditations..."

Started by woodsgnome, September 14, 2015, 11:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsgnome

There's several good books that can help with one's healing journey. One of the best meditative reads, in my opinion, is Stephen Levine's "Guided Meditations, Explorations, and Healings". Originally published in 1991, it's still readily available, as it's considered a classic in the field of mindfulness meditation.

Stephen Levine and his wife Ondrea are noted for their pioneering work in hospice, as well as their contributions to the study of mindfulness. Unlike academics, their approach was always learned "in the field", as it were, person-to-person style. They were too busy helping people to spend much time otherwise.

This book showcases their extraordinary talent for creating powerful but concise meditations. It literally oozes peace, tranquility, and self-acceptance throughout its pages. The writing style speaks in a deep spiritual tone without any hint of dogmatic intent. Mindfulness is a word that fits what they do, although I'd call it "heartfulness".   

While I've used audio CD and YouTube-style meditations, I find it difficult to use them effectively. My hyper-vigilant nature tends to butt in, critiquing the speaker's voice, even if I record my own voice.

Levine minimizes the grandiose technique and procedures other authors insist on including. I suppose all that prepping has merits for some, but I've never found they fit my needs--all I do is worry about doing it "right". Hardly meditative, and one spends so much time "getting to" the proper state of mind, that I feel more like dozing off  :zzz: before I arrive at the actual meditation. Meditation shouldn't be about arriving someplace, it's about here/now, and Levine understands that.

He has some suggestions for helping, but it's not like learning a multi-step procedure required to do it the "right" way. I don't get why so many meditation teachers want to complicate things, like if it's too simple it must not be 'spiritual' enough, or something. :blahblahblah:

Reflecting Levine's background, the meditations are very focused on emotional healing. Topics are expanded via brief explorations before/after a given meditation. Each meditation in turn is short but are best approached without a time frame in mind. These are the kind worth absorbing. 

Stephen Levine's "Guided Meditations, Explorations, and Healings" is a soothing read that allows you to gently find peace, self-compassion, acceptance, and healing. It's a  rare gem in the field of mindfulness meditation.

MaryAnn

Thank you Woodsgnome.  I am a book worm and this one does sound more up my alley.  Down to earth and keeps it to the basics.  I will check it out on Amazon and maybe start with this one first and get one by Foster or Neff as well and go from there.  Thank you for sharing.  We learned more about mindfulness and positive thinking in group therapy today.  I am really hoping that guided meditations and the art of mindfulness will help me rid myself of the constant anxiety.  I want to feel better, but the constant anxiety is never ending and I can't seem to get a handle on it.  I feel better in other ways and have my focus back but the anxiety is exhausting.  Today I just want to cry....

Thank you for sharing!
MaryAnn :hug: