OOTS Magazine: 'Creative Writing' fold-in section

Started by Dutch Uncle, September 11, 2015, 12:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

Anybody can share stories off, by or on Creative Writing in this thread

Today I stumbled on this hilarious piece/column in my newspaper.
I can relate to it. And I think not just me...
It might be a bit triggering, as it's about moodswings, changing very rapidly.
Made me laugh though.  ;D

It's funny if you do not experience it yourself
It is to laugh and not laugh, all those moodswings since I submitted the manuscript of "What only we hear", get up with a smile wider than a smiley because life smiles at me, and a few hours later falling apart, in thousands pieces because I find me in a DIY-shop, in yet another pathetic attempt to pass for a modern woman, fixing all that can be fixed,

not having even talked about the panic attacks, since the second proof still teems with spelling errors, and I think I better discard the oldest profession in the world, that of storyteller, give it up because nobody is reading books anymore and all this is an exercise in futility, allready going on for seven books now, and the next moment I meet eagerly awaiting readers who convince me of their impatience,

it's funny if you do not experience it yourself, that sudden hyperventilation that forces me to chug in a haversack to return my breath at the thought of what critic owes it to itself to drill the book into the ground, and the resulting irrepressible urge to immediately write two reviews myself , one that extols the book to his contemporary touch, original approach and the phenomenal language, another who finds megalomaniac intent in the book and it's ridiculousness in its attempt to get something from the 'oh la la, Zeitgeist',

and here I sit in front of my screen, back-and-forth between "yes-they-will-understand" and "oh-where-is-the-spade-so-I-can-bury-myself", and let's dwell on the tragedy of the cramp in my little toe, mounting gangrene which later on will cause a most painful way to die in the middle of a crossroads, before the publication of the book, a pain that makes me cry out, overcome by emotion, "I want it published NOW!", while everyone looks at me pityfully, which subsequently makes me burst out in laughter,

when suddenly a vision of the book-presentation comes to mind, a sad affair with me as the only audience and I know, without even reading his mail, that the artist Rinus Fieldman, who was hired to make a wall-painting based my book in the art-temple 'Bizar', will cancel because he couldn't read past the first word, disgusted, while three seconds later  I feel he'll paint the whole 'Bizar' because painting just one room will not do justice to "What only we hear",

it is to laugh and not laugh, one moment I never want to write, and the next moment I can not stop, and I remember that one column which consists of only one single sentence, should never stop.

copyright: S a s k i a   D e   C o s t e r.
Translation: Google Translate with some minor edits by Dutch Uncle

edit: changed DUI-shop to DIY-shop, lol. My bad.

arpy1

ha! i have this woman living in my head with me too!!! :rofl:

JohnnyBoy

been there done that soooo many times.....and I know the painfulness of writing too lol! Like Stephen King once said, there are times the stories are shouting so loud you just want to crawl in a dark hole, cover your ears, and scream "Make them stop!!!!" ahem ok I totally hijacked this thread I'm so sorry lol. You can have it back now uncle

Dutch Uncle

Dear Johnny, this is a Creative Writing thread. Please feel free to share any stories. Perhaps some of your own, or one you have read and like.

JohnnyBoy

you really want me to share a 50 page story? lol I might share some excerpts.