Family Cults

Started by Kizzie, September 14, 2026, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Here we have included information about family cults from member Marcine. We have included this in a separate subsection because of its prevalence in the lives of survivors of complex relational trauma. 

*****************************************************************

Growing up in a family that operates like a cult can lead to Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) due to continuous, inescapable psychological (and often physical and/or sexual) abuse and authoritarian control. This article by Dr. Glenn Doyle titled "Families and Cults" connects the development of complex trauma in individuals to being raised in abusive coercive families.

What is a Family Cult?

A family cult is an authoritarian environment where a parent or relative (e.g., grandparent) maintains absolute control over family members (known as a "high-control group") via tactics such as manipulation, punishment, and coercive control. This can range from families in which a narcissistic member holds sway over everyone in their orbit to families that are forced by their leader to adhere to unconventional /extremist views (e.g., religious, political/anti-government, doomsday).

Common Features:

Isolation: Children are isolated to greater or lesser degrees from the outside world, normal friendships, media, or mainstream schooling.

Unquestioning Obedience: Dissent, critical thinking, or asking questions is punished.

Fear and Manipulation: Members are taught that the outside world is to be avoided, evil, dangerous, or doomed depending on the focus of the leader.

Shame and Perfectionism: Children feel they can never be "good enough" and internalize total responsibility for the family's emotional state.

Connection to C-PTSD

Unlike single-incident trauma, growing up in a family cult means the trauma is chronic and developmental. When it happens during critical years when a child's brain and identity are forming, it can result in:

Disrupted Attachment: Caregivers are sources of both survival and terror, leading to disorganized attachment.

Loss of Self: Personal boundaries, diaries, thoughts, and privacy are routinely violated or treated as sins/betrayals.

Hypervigilance: Survivors remain constantly on guard to detect shifts in the "leader's" or parent's mood to stay safe.

Lifelong Impacts in Adulthood

Difficulty Trusting Authority: Survivors often struggle to trust institutions, bosses, or partners, yet may accidentally find themselves drawn to familiar, high-control dynamics.

People-Pleasing and Compliance: Compulsive compliance becomes a survival mechanism, making it hard to say "no" or express personal needs.

Relational Push-Pull: Close relationships trigger deep fears of intimacy and abandonment simultaneously.

Recovery and Healing

Recognizing the Reality: Putting a name to the dynamic (authoritarian control or cult trauma) helps lift the deep, misplaced personal shame.

Building External Support: Breaking financial and emotional dependence through social services, education, and safe communities helps establish autonomy.

Trauma-Informed Therapy: Modalities like somatic work, EMDR, and relational therapy help rebuild a secure sense of self outside the original system


Kizzie

#1
And more information from member Marcine.

The BITE Model of Authoritarian Control

Cult expert Dr. Steven Hassan's BITE Model outlines the authoritarian control tactics that dismantle an individual's autonomy, often leading to Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) upon leaving a high-control group. The model explains how these destructive cultic organizations manipulate members:

Behavior Control: Regulating where people live, what they wear, how they sleep, and who they talk to.

Information Control: Using deception, withholding truth, and encouraging spying or reporting on others.

Thought Control: Imposing black-and-white thinking, stopping critical questions, and using loaded language to block independent ideas.

Emotional Control: Manipulating feelings, inducing irrational guilt or fear, and threatening severe spiritual or social consequences for leaving.

Connection to CPTSD

Prolonged exposure to the systematic abuses of the BITE model traps the human nervous system in a chronic state of threat and leads to:

Erosion of Self: Constant thought and emotional regulation force a person to suppress their authentic identity and adopt a dependent pseudo-identity.

Trauma Responses: The resulting cognitive dissonance, isolation, and fear mimic or directly cause CPTSD symptoms, such as severe hypervigilance, emotional flashbacks, and difficulty trusting others or oneself.

About Recovery: Healing requires recognizing these external control mechanisms to understand that the psychological damage was a planned manipulation rather than a personal failure.

Explore the framework at the Freedom of Mind Resource Center.

Below please find Marcine's personal story of being in a family cult.

Kizzie

Family cult by Marcine (Post made July 16, 2026, 08:06:00 PM)

The high control, coercive, authoritarian, exploitative environment in my family of origin was normalized from day 1.

Deliberate suppression of individual autonomy, punishment of any questioning or setting the tiniest unauthorized boundary, controlling access to all resources, financial learned helplessness, loyalty conditioning, cultivating fear, engineered scarcity, forcing complete emotional and physical service to the parents, keeping bad secrets, unethical manipulations to enforce obedience, isolation from the outside world to create total dependence, cultivating a socially acceptable false family image to avoid accountability, pitting impossible choice of enmeshment/engulfed OR rejection/death, brainwashing to believe that survival outside the family was impossible.

Despite it all, I got out. By the skin of my teeth. Now, after decades of determined de-programming, I have the clarity to call it what it was: a cult.

I had thought cults were always religiously affiliated. I am posting here to say that is not always the case. Like most things, cult-like behavior exists on a spectrum.

But for sure, a group that uses fear, guilt, psychological pressure, or unquestionable authority to enforce obedience and suppress self is exploitative and anti-love. No matter what words the group cloaks itself in.

There is a special dark place saved for people that target and coerce children.

Thank you for offering the space to speak this truth that I've held alone for so long.

Kizzie

Re: Family cult by zen_racer (Post made July 18, 2026, 02:54:22 PM)

Marcine, I've only read this about 10-15 minutes ago.  I wanted to reflect on this a bit before I responded, so I did a little stretching with some soft piano music.  The more I think about this, the more I think I relate and resonate with this.  I haven't thought about my family in relation to a cult, but it all sounds so familiar.  My earliest memory from around 3 years old maybe is of my parents for a while using my age and developmental stages as the basis for ridicule and jokes at my expense because they thought I was too young to understand that they were taking advantage of being adults taunting me.  I can only guess that their mistreatment started from day 1.

Quote from: Marcine on July 16, 2026, 08:06:00 PM

Deliberate suppression of individual autonomy, punishment of any questioning or setting the tiniest unauthorized boundary, controlling access to all resources, financial learned helplessness, loyalty conditioning, cultivating fear, engineered scarcity, forcing complete emotional and physical service to the parents, keeping bad secrets, unethical manipulations to enforce obedience, isolation from the outside world to create total dependence, cultivating a socially acceptable false family image to avoid accountability, pitting impossible choice of enmeshment/engulfed OR rejection/death, brainwashing to believe that survival outside the family was impossible.


The person in my family responsible for this behavior, my M, still to this day refuses to ever acknowledge me as a capable adult person, and constantly projects this idea that I'm lost and helpless and require her to explain everything, to approve everything, and lashes out at any and all reminders that I am, in fact, a whole complete person that has excelled at most things I've done.  I guess I've always wanted to believe that maybe her and I just see things differently, and that there wasn't malice in her intention (except for situations where it was impossible to believe otherwise).  That maybe it was because she was going through her own things.  But she has absolutely done everything she could to try to enforce this enmeshment and dependence and punished me for ever showing any kind of strength or individuality, all the way till now with me being 50 years old.

Thank you for putting this perspective here for me to see.  It might help me move forward and be even more comfortable with going extremely low contact or no contact, and recognize how unsafe her influence is.

Kizzie

Re: Family cult by NarcKiddo (Post made July 18, 2026, 05:12:54 PM)

I'm glad you have seen and spoken the truth, Marcine. And I am very, very glad you got out.

Kizzie

Re: Family cult by HannahOne (Post made July 18, 2026, 11:27:19 PM)

You don't have to hold it alone, Marcine.

And others will come along in the future and find their truth spoken here too, or parts of it. Thank you for that.

My family also had cult dynamics, my F was "the King" he regularly proclaimed, and no deviance from his thought programming was allowed. All glory was his at all times. I didn't cast a vote in an election until I was 35, so scared was I to deviate, even though he'd never know! I wasn't even able to cogitate what I thought about politics until I was long out of there.

The wider family web on one side was isolationist and thought-controlling, homeschooling to prevent outside ideas from coming in, and demanding of obedience and feats to show fealty. They used the Christian religion to enforce and enhance, but didn't really believe the religion.

I feel growing up in these dynamics led me into cults as a young adult, I was in a yoga cult for a few. years, thinking I was rebelling only to discover the same dynamics as my Christian upbringing, then a Christian cult, in a return to my roots. And yes, cults don't have to be religious.

As a survivor of relational trauma cults can be appealing as they seem to offer belonging and a clear path to it, and the loss of identity that comes with that process feels familiar. Cult dynamics also impair one's ability to think clearly because of all the thought-stopping behaviors you're constantly taught to do.

All the more to honor your post and your experience, so clearly laid out and thought through, a testament to your survival and the healing you committed to.

Kizzie

Re: Family cult by TheBigBlue (Post made July 19, 2026, 05:17:34 AM)

Marcine, thank you for sharing this.

I am struck by the extraordinary clarity and insight you've gained through decades of courage, questioning, analyzing, grieving, and de-programming.

To grow up in a system designed to suppress your autonomy, enforce dependence, and convince you that survival outside of it was impossible ... and yet you got out, and then spent decades doing the hard work of healing, that is remarkable.

I also really appreciate you pointing out that cult dynamics exist on a spectrum and don't have to be religious. I suspect that insight may help many people recognize experiences they've struggled to make sense of.

Thank you for speaking this truth so clearly. :grouphug:

Kizzie

Re: Family cult by SenseOrgan (Post made July 19, 2026, 08:27:20 AM)

Congratulations for finding words for this Marcine, and thank you for sharing them here. It deeply touches me you arrived at this point. What a journey. In my mind, finally being able to call it what it is marks the end of the spell. Freedom. It's most subtle aspects perhaps run the deepest. It takes an immense dedication to shine the light of truth on them too. Decades of liberating. I admire your commitment to you. The one who didn't comply with being erased from day one. And I suspect also the one who knew before it clicked as a narrative.

Your words resonate with me too in ways I struggle to capture in language. A term that comes to mind is "shared reality". Someone wrote that in a book about trauma. Part of healing is finding our way to our sovereignty, which exists outside of that what was forced upon us as reality by our abusers. I don't have the clarity you have. And I know there is a there there for me in what you wrote. Thank you for planting this seed.

Much love

Kizzie

Re: Family cult by Dalloway (Post made July 19, 2026, 05:47:57 PM)

Marcine,

thank you for sharing this. I can find similarities between what you write about and my upbringing. Especially the keeping bad secrets and the isolation from the outside world to create total dependence part. All my childhood and teenage years me and my sisters were told by our mother that people in the outside world are bad and they will hurt us as soon as they get the chance, so we need to be very careful in what we say about our family life in the public. I quickly learned that there are things allowed to say freely and the family stuff that would get me in trouble if I said them out loud. Not only it created the false dichotomy of us vs. them but it also made me feel that I was responsible for the lives of every member of the family. I genuinely believed that my words could kill the ones I loved. This created a horrible sense of guilt and extreme responsibility in me as a child that I still carry with me. It also disconnected me from the world and the people in it and made me distrust every one "out there". It was psychological torture and abuse, as I can clearly see now. Your courage to name it and see it for what it is/was gives me hope that by doing so we can remove the stigma and also its power over us. So thank you.  :applause:  :hug: