I've waited too long (trigger warning)

Started by journey7301, March 25, 2024, 10:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

journey7301

I'm not sure where to start...
I am 33 years old and haven't been able to heal from my SA and emotional abuse from age 6-15yo.
It was a parent. I told my other parent finally about what was going on and a divorce was filed immediately.
To this day, my family members will not acknowledge what I went through. Immediately after everything unraveled, the struggle my other parent and I went through for years following the divorce, or to this day. Sweeping things under the rug is how my family deals with things. I have a sister who I am extremely close to, however, she still has contact with the parent who did this to me. I find myself being distant and putting up a wall now. The wall with my other family members is about ten feet tall to protect myself. I moved across the country about five years ago, I have a loving husband and two beautiful stepchildren. I have tried CBT, medications, yoga, exercise, breathing techniques, many years of therapy. Writing, reading, research. I feel stuck and exhausted trying to help myself get through this. Maybe this forum will help? Getting it out there in the world so I don't feel so alone in it?

Papa Coco

Hi Journey7301

Welcome to the forum. Your story touches my heart. I'm glad you found this forum. There are a lot of compassionate people on it. These people have been a big help to me.

Little2Nothing

Journey7301, welcome. You are not alone all of us here understand the impact of trauma. You are among friends. 

Cascade

Yes, Journey7301, we are here to support you and listen to you getting it out into the world.  You aren't alone.

I too cut off all ties with my abuser first.  It was * maintaining relationships with others in the family, even though I wasn't as strong as you were.  I never explained why.  Then it just got to be too much for me and I had to cut all ties.  I'm very glad that one of your parents believed you and took action to protect you.  I'm also glad to hear of your new family and hope you find support with them, and with us.

Kizzie

Welcome Journey, I hope being here does help you.  Somehow not being alone in what we've suffered makes it easier to deal with (as in I'm not alone in this and I know no matter what I say at OOTS they will get it).

Warm group hug for you if that's OK  :grouphug: