Grief: Angering out felt abusive

Started by Cascade, March 24, 2024, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

Hi Group,
Has anyone else felt like an abuser while healthily angering out?

In From Surviving to Thriving, Pete Walker outlines grieving as healing through four practices:
  • angering
  • crying
  • verbal ventilating
  • feeling

During my first deliberate, structured attempt at this yesterday (on my own), all four of these processes occurred.  Yay!... that's a good thing, right?  I angered using a rolled up towel on some propped-up pillows.  It was more physically demanding than expected, lol.  I beat the * outta those pillows, imaging them as my father and hitting them as he once hit me.  I felt a little bit "bad," though, doing that "to him."  I didn't want to be doing the same thing as he did.  In the moment, I pushed that sensation away and kept going.

Walking up this morning, I still felt shameful about my "physically abusive" actions.  I don't want to feel better by doing abusive things, thinking abusive thoughts.  Logically, I know I wasn't being abusive to anyone or even to him.  It was a towel on pillows, for cryin' out loud!  I'm still left with a sense of "perpetrating," though.  To my body, it felt that way.

On the flip side, I also woke this morning with the ball of anxiety in my gut nearly completely gone.  Maybe something "good" did happen.  Has anyone else been through anything similar?

So confused,
   -Cascade

Chart

Hello Cascade, to answer your question: yes and no. I myself have often felt the positive effects of my anger. But I think you are perhaps not making the distinction between controlled anger and uncontrolled anger. One is an energy giving us information, the other is a force that destroys. You are clearly using the former. Anger can be used for positive, but it is rare that we see this, we almost always see the destructive side. (And this side is especially informative, only we're usually too busy dealing with guilt to see any positive. (This recently happened to me. :()
Additionally, you are perhaps judging your "intent". You mistakenly think that by acting something out it equates to the same thing. Which of course you already realize is not the case, which you even mentioned. We can only judge acts of our behavior, not the feelings surrounding them. But it is really good and revealing to explore the feelings you have surrounding your act. Bravo for the questioning spirit! I think you could explore a little your guilt feelings. But make a clear distinction from this and the anger work. I think they're  two different things. Ultimately any person is only responsible for their real actions. That you want to kill someone, but don't doesn't make you guilty nonetheless. And this is further proof of moral goodness: you have the strength to resist a negative act even though your feelings are pushing you in that direction. Just my thoughts on the situation. I think your question is great! Much love and support. We keep at all this together! Thank you!

Cascade

Hi Chart, thanks so much for your perspective.

Quote from: Chart on March 25, 2024, 08:33:28 AMI think you could explore a little your guilt feelings. But make a clear distinction from this and the anger work. I think they're two different things.

I'm just getting started and everything feels so jumbled up together, the guilt/shame, the anger.  All I had to go by during my angering out was how my body felt.  I suppose the guilt is held up in there, too, so if the anger comes out, other things will, too.

Thank you for congratulating me on my questioning and being supportive of it.  I'm trying to examine things and can't sort it out from my own perspective.  So glad you and this safe space are here!

NarcKiddo

I find it very helpful to have a physical outlet for my fight/flight reaction. I do boxing and I find it really helps to punch things out. However, I can understand your feelings about imagining your pillows were your father. Lots of people have seen me hitting the  :whistling: out of the boxing bag in the gym and they like to ask me who I am pretending it is. In truth I never assign a human identity to it, possibly because I fear feeling like you did. I have assigned other things to it - I beat up cancer when my friend was suffering with that. If you don't find it helpful to imaging you are beating up a person maybe you could try beating up evil, or violence (yes, I know that sounds weird!), or cruelty.

Since you woke up feeling better I would encourage you to try using a physical outlet again to see how you get on, but frame it differently in case that works for you.

Cascade

Great thoughts, NarcKiddo!  Thanks so much for your encouragement and suggestions about framing when I go for another round.  It's funny you mention boxing.  For the longest time, I've joked about installing a speed bag.  Friends always recommend a full boxing bag.  I haven't done either.

Papa Coco

This is a great post. Cascade, thank you for bringing it up, and thanks to all three of you for conversing about it.

This is really good information for me. I currently exercise NO physical outlets for anger. I wonder now if that's partially why I feel so drained and so lazy and so defeated. I don't do any housework or yardwork anymore. I ride bikes for just a few minutes a day. I now fit into the description of a person with chronic depression. And now that you talk about release, I remember that some sources say that depression comes from unexpressed anger or unexpressed rage. For me, I wonder too if maybe rage is a better word rather than anger??? Rage feels like it doesn't have to be aimed at someone. Anger feels to me like it points at who I blame for my misery. That's not resonating with me well. Rage feels generic and easier to release without shame or guilt.

I need to start thinking about getting a punching bag or a speedbag or something. Yelling into pillows has never worked for me. Like you, Cascade, I feel like I'm acting out of the same anger that others used to control me. I don't want to become like my abusers. Screaming into a pillow just feels like I'm becoming one of them.

And NarcKiddo, that comment about how you don't assign a person's identity to the bag is really resonating as a good idea for me too. Pointing my rage at another person is almost like assigning blame for my misery onto them, and that's not a healthy way to live. I choose to be accountable for who I am and how I feel. However, rage can be unassigned. Pounding the bag in a fit of genuine rage has a healthier feel to me than pretending the bag is my sister so that I can become "like her" by attacking her how she has always attacked me.

There's some real genius in what all three of you said. This is just more proof to me that being connected to others is where strength and healing happen.

I'm going to start looking at my options. I'll explore punching bags, speedbags, and any sport that I might be drawn to that allows rage to flourish without the dark side of anger and shame that it has always brought for me.

Cascade

Kizzie

More often than not whenever I express anger I initially feel good I am letting it out, but then I flip into shame and feelings of failure.  Part of that is anger feels like I am not in control.  It is a rebound effect where the inner critic rises up and shouts about how I am supposed to be - always calm, responsible, respectful, tolerant, perfect - and rises up to fill me with fear and shame about who and what I am and how no-one will like me, how anger leads to abuse and isolation from others.  :blahblahblah:

Most people do get angry from time to time though, it helps us stand our ground in this life and as long as we do not go after the person and stick to the issues it's even healthy. Pete Walker talks about reigniting our protective instincts that we are all born with but survivors must snuff out or push down so more abuse and shame don't rain down on us. I'm working a lot on understanding that anger is a normal, healthy emotion but it's how you express it that makes a difference. I'm doing very well with my H, the rest of the world better, but not quite there yet. Just going to keep on working on it as I have made some progress so there's that.   

Cascade

Thanks, Kizzie.
Anger is a tough one.  I'm glad to hear of your progress!

Yeah, I figured there was a huge critic component to my experience.  It caught me off guard because I expect to "hear" the critic.  The bodily, visceral component of feeling like I was being abusive was very unexpected.  Thanks for letting me offload it here in this safe space.
   -Cascade