Little Mouse

Started by PaperDoll, February 11, 2024, 07:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaperDoll

I would like to share a piece of prose that I wrote. I guess I see myself in my experience of CPTSD as the little mouse. Feeling small and vulnerable, searching for a home where I can feel safe but struggling to find somewhere I fit in, always alert to danger. But at the same time, resourceful and having strength to persevere.   

Little Mouse

Little mouse who wants a home.

Not in a shoe that fell out of a charity clothes bin. Wet and worn. Scuffed on the toe.

Not under a car. Range Rover, latest model on lease.

Not in a skip. Amongst the rubble. Old skirting board wrenched from the attic of a house where an old woman died.

Nor nestled between the bins round the back of the bookies.

Scuttling out from under the vicar's opulent robes when clouds of incense made her nose itch.

Not comfortable in a box of well-mouthed toys at the playgroup.

For a while, cosy in a discarded sleeping bag in the doorway of the bank that closed last month. Until its owner returned.

Little mouse who wants a home.

Delicate paws, whiskers twitching. Searching.

At last, she finds her home among the brambles.

Scent of wet vegetation fills her tiny nose.

Sound of rain and leaves trembling as her woodland friends search for food. 

She nibbles on a blackberry.

Little mouse busies herself through the night making her home from moss and leaves.

As the new day dawns, she curls up to sleep, exhausted. 

Hope67

Hi PaperDoll,
I like your poem. 
Hope  :)

NarcKiddo

I think that is a beautiful piece, and I am really happy Little Mouse found a safe home to curl up in.

Heartly

PaperDoll, beautiful prose.  I, too, am glad the little mouse finally found a good home.

PaperDoll

Thank you for all the positive comments. I am grateful to have this space to share creative writing and to read the output of others.

Kizzie

I love your poem PaperDoll.  It feels like my life, like I'm the little mouse trying to find a lovely, safe home.

BecomingMe

Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem PaperDoll and a resounding yes!! You are wonderfully resourceful and strong  :thumbup: