Eek!

Started by Kizzie, January 11, 2024, 07:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bermuda

It's been unbelieveably cold here in Sweden too. Very strange for us. We still have snow too! I went swimming the other day and the water temperature in the sea was below freezing. I didn't know that was even possible!

It seems like we should prepare ourselves for life in the Siberian tundra.

On the plus side of that bundling up advice, I find it's a great way to hide the fact that I haven't properly dressed myself all winter. Pajamas under ski pants and none the wiser. No spoons left, but no witnesses either.

I am not a caveman. I am a bear. Same cave, different perspective.  :cheer:  :yes:

Kizzie

Ha! I wish I were a bear and then I could hibernate through this.

Blueberry

Quote from: Bermuda on January 11, 2024, 07:29:37 PMOn the plus side of that bundling up advice, I find it's a great way to hide the fact that I haven't properly dressed myself all winter. Pajamas under ski pants and none the wiser.

;D  ;D  :thumbup:

I didn't get dressed yesterday, but then I didn't leave the building.

Kizzie, I was wondering if that weather warning would apply to you too, I mean if you're in the same weather system. It's a balmy -10°C. The sun was even shining earlier.

Kizzie

We still have -40's at night and -30's during the day but it is supposed to 'warm' up to -20 on Monday. -10 would seem balmy right about now BB.

Of course the electricity went out the first night for a few hours so we just took our flashlights, phones and crawled under the covers. 

Kizzie

Some Canadian humour about the cold - https://www.boredpanda.com/canada-suffering-cold-winter-pics/

Our temps are now in the plus zone.  We do often get Chinooks which is a week or so of warm air drifting over the mountains  and making it spring like in the dead of winter, but to go from -40 to +10 is not usual.  :sunny: Very nice though I must say.

NarcKiddo

I'm glad things have warmed up a bit. I have experienced -40 once and am not in a hurry to repeat it. Although actually being out in it did not seem all that much worse than -20. I'm sure fuel use rocketed but I was a kid then so that was no concern of mine.

Kizzie

Yes, we had an emergency alert come in on our phones and it was the loudest thing I have ever heard.  I literally jumped right into a standing position ready to run until I figured out what it was exactly. It was a text asking Albertans to turn off as many things that used electricity which enough of us did within minutes so the grid remained stable. Nothing like the fear of -40 without power to motivate! 

NarcKiddo

Those emergency phone alerts are scary! It's good they work, and can be used for such things, though. We have had a couple of test alerts run in the UK but they warn you about those so you can at least be ready for the noise.

When we were on our last cruise to Norway we called in at Trondheim. A girl I have known online for years but had never met lives there so I arranged to have coffee with her. The Norwegians were testing their emergency alarm system later that day, via the mobile phone network and public sirens. Thankfully she warned me, because the cruise line had said nothing about it and it went off while we were still in port!  :aaauuugh: