Hello

Started by Miyagido, December 28, 2023, 08:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miyagido

Hello,

I'm new here. I've only recently learned of CPTSD after reading Pete walkers book and childhood emotional neglect. I've identified with this, though my thoughts still torment me with minimisation thoughts which make me invalidate my own feelings and responses, which is what I've done my whole life and not known it. Reading the forum posts has already been such a help :).

tofubreadchillicoriander

Welcome. I cannot relate as I don't have an inner critic (I'm anti social) though I relate to the childhood abuse. I'm glad the forum is serving you well. :yes:

NarcKiddo

Hello, and welcome. I'm glad you found us.

Childhood emotional neglect is very insidious and I think all of us who suffered it are prone to minimise our experiences. Many of us would claim for years that we had a happy childhood and actually believe it on some level. If we did not suffer forms of abuse that everyone can see and agree are abusive we can often feel that we are the unreasonable ones for feeling bad when we were homed, fed and clothed and (in many cases) informed by our parents that we were loved.

Kizzie

Hi and a very warm welcome to OOTS Miyagido :heythere:  As NarcKiddo says, glad you found your way here to us. Reading posts can be so helpful and sharing your own experiences and finding out you are in a community that totally gets what you've been through and are struggling with.

:grouphug: Big hug from us if that's OK. 

Blueberry

Quote from: Miyagido on December 28, 2023, 08:15:50 AM.. though my thoughts still torment me with minimisation thoughts which make me invalidate my own feelings and responses...

I do this too, still. But it has got better. I've had a lot of validation on here and in trauma-informed therapy about how bad my childhood and later really was. So I'd just like to validate you and your experience. Yeah, it really was that bad, otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum. Welcome. 

storyworld

Hello, Myagido, and welcome to the forum! I haven't yet read that book, but I've seen it referenced here numerous times. I understand your statement regarding invalidating your emotions. Sorry you suffered childhood trauma but glad you found this forum!