Your Favourite Movies

Started by Bermuda, November 28, 2023, 10:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bermuda

I recently came across something where people shared their favourite films, and there appeared to be a strong connection between what they watch and who they are. The idea fascinated me. I am the most sensitive of the sensitive people. I have developed blockers to key words on appearing on my screen. I don't view the news in any form, but oddly enough when I do watch films, they are some of the saddest movies ever made.

I just wanted to ask everyone what their favourite movies are and share mine. Data, it's fun.

My favourite movies in no particular order:

La Planete Sauvage
Grave of Fireflies
Watership Down
Waltz with Bashir

NarcKiddo

Oh, wow. I love movies and I enjoy most genres except horror. Good old crazy action capers are particular favourites, like "Romancing the Stone" or the Indiana Jones films. James Bond films of course. Intricately planned crime heists, too.

Pinning down actual favourites is hard, and none of those are in the adventure drama. I think favourites have to be movies I would watch more than once. Main contenders are:

The Grand Budapest Hotel.
The Remains of the Day.
The English Patient.
About Schmidt.

Although I have only ever seen it once, and am not sure I would want to watch it again, I have to mention Against All Odds. Simply because it is the first film in which I have been able to cry. My mother disparages those who cry at films. She herself issues a running commentary during films (unless at the cinema, where even she does not dare). My emotions were so shut down when living with her that I did not become emotionally involved in any film. Or anything, really. I was mocked by my father at the age of 8 for crying while reading Charlotte's Web. And then aged 15 I went to stay with a schoolfriend after our O level exams as we had a few days' holiday but it was too far for me to fly home. We went to see that film and my friend started to cry. And my mother was not there so I felt free to cry too and the floodgates opened. Now, I particularly enjoy film and television drama because I feel able to become emotionally involved in a way that I cannot otherwise. It may partly be because anyone I am with is paying attention to the screen, not me, so I don't feel in danger. Except when with my mother, but then I cannot pay attention to anything anyway, as she is monologuing.

Bermuda, I have only seen Watership Down out of your list and will check out what the others are about. Watership Down was difficult reading, and listening to the song "Bright Eyes" is tough.

Armee

:whistling:

Oh gosh how embarrassing. My favorite movie hands down of all time is the kid's movie Despicable Me for the very "off" humor. I doubt it translates well to other dialects of English. It's probably pretty American.

I mostly just like to laugh. I can't follow plots or characters well. I don't like to watch violence or scary things.

Bermuda

Actually, knowing you two like I feel I do, at least a bit, these answers seem to make perfect sense. Us three all are opposed to cinematic violence too, which is interesting.

Also, my top movies are all animated as well and quite stylised which I think allows me relate to the trauma but with a barrier. Waltz with Bashir is about war and PTSD, and in no other context would I even attempt a movie with such themes. It kind of sounds like to me, that we all have a safety barrier, and our childhoods seem to set the bar.

I first saw Grave of Fireflies on an international flight, and oh my goodness, I cried and cried and cried. So embarassing. I cry even during children's films, not only the Charlotte's Web ones but also the Despicable Me ones.

tofubreadchillicoriander

I don't watch horror or violent ones either.

As an INFJ, I particularly enjoyed Frozen (2 especially).

My now favorite movie is A Good Person (2023). I think I watched it like 8 times. It's my coping movie, haha.  :yes:

Chaos rains

I am particularly fond of Moonrise Kingdom, where I feel like they finally got the weird kids right. But the movie that has most resonated with me is an old Betty Davis one called "Now, Voyager." OMG. I could talk about it for hours.

I cannot handle any kind of war movie. Partly because of the victims, and part because they are so loud.

Kizzie

So my son is coming home for Xmas and we're going to watch two fam favs, both with Bruce Willis.  The first is Die Hard the original or first one, and the second is The Fifth Element.  We also are going to download Tom Cruise's new movie if we can get it by then (tks Bit Torrent  :whistling:   ).  So I guess you could say we like action flicks, not superhero movies though.

My H likes war movies because he was military and loves history flicks, but like you Chaos I can't watch them because of the subject matter. Knowing they are based on real events is just too much for me. I also can't watch anything about animals or children where they are abused/hurt/abandoned for obvious reasons.  They absolutely haunt me which is understandable.  My inner child relates and mourns/grieves.

NarcKiddo

Ooh, yes. I enjoyed Die Hard. Alan Rickman is a bit of a heart throb of mine.

Kizzie

He was in another fav film of mine - Galaxy Quest. Harry Potter too of course  ;D

Bach

Galaxy Quest was such a fun film!

Armee, I also love Despicable Me, and the other films in that universe.  Minion language endlessly amuses and delights me.

Quote from: Armee on November 28, 2023, 02:45:13 PMI mostly just like to laugh. I can't follow plots or characters well. I don't like to watch violence or scary things.

Nailed it!  There are many films I love that I've watched two or more times, and not many of them are much weightier than that.  And usually, if I do watch anything weightier, my husband has to help me keep up!

Rizzo

Quote from: Kizzie on December 05, 2023, 12:21:06 AMHe was in another fav film of mine - Galaxy Quest. Harry Potter too of course  ;D
Harry Potter is the BEST!!  :cheer: