Long time member Revisiting OOTS

Started by Phoebes, November 15, 2023, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

Hi Everyone!

I have been away for a while and wanted to say hello first before just popping back in. I've been on this journey a while, and I tend to amp up with anxiety at the holidays, although not nearly as much as in the beginning. I've been NC with NM for 8.5 years now, and vlc with EnN dad. Is that an acronym? Enabling Narcissistic dad? I also have N step mom. Take the labels off, it doesn't matter. They still are all outrageous in their abusive behaviors, accusations and toxicity.

It's no surprise I struggle with relationships sometimes and am fairly isolated. I even get kind of overwhelmed here sometimes which is why I have been in and out, although I feel like this is the only place full of people who understand.

Blueberry

Phoebes

Kizzie

Hi Phoebes, welcome back  :heythere:

I certainly understand the anxiety at the holidays - so much pressure to do them the Hallmark way in society and we don't typically have good memories to look back on.

You sure are surrounded by N's! I have a lot in my FOO too, mostly my NM's side. It starts to feel like they're everywhere and I guess they are although I've never read a stat on just how many people suffer from N. So it is completely understandable that you struggle with relationships, most of here do so as you say, you're in good company.

:grouphug: Glad you're back  ;D

Phoebes

Thanks so much, Kizzie! I still think of you all often- this group has helped me so much. I'm not sure I would have made it through the worst of it without it! I hope I can be of help in some way, too, with sharing my experience.

Kizzie

That's so good to hear Phoebes, always good to get feedback that affirms why we are together here. I'm sure your experience will be helpful  :yes:

Sunshine88

Holidays have always been a struggle for me too, until this year. I'm glad you've come, now I've met you.

May I ask if the holidays hold a special place in your heart? Do you enjoy engaging with the holidays as they play out?

I didn't know the acronyms, I admittedly thought you were talking about states at first 🤦�♀️😬, thank you for elaborating.

Kizzie

Hi Sunshine - Just wanted to mention there's a list of acronyms here - https://www.outofthestorm.website/acronyms/