I get highly anxious and stressed out when deadlines are impending

Started by Fraying, September 27, 2023, 10:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraying

I used to be able to just bull my way through and get stuff done, but lately, I'm living with this tight feeling in my chest and a racing heart and a sense of impending doom. Over taxes.

I owe our tax person information by the end of the day on the 30th. It's always hard for me to get started, but usually when I get started, I can finish without a problem.

However, this time, I'm having an extremely difficult time staying focused and motivated. Well, I'm motivated, because it just has to get done, no options there, but I can't seem to make myself work for more than half an hour at a time.

I have always procrastinated. I can usually get things done at the last minute, but I'm just having a really hard time, right now.

In the past, I have successfully suppressed the anxiety and physical feelings by getting going on things, but this time, it's not working. I don't have time to get to the root of why I feel this way until after the work is completed.

How do I manage this? I'm taking frequent breaks, but I get no relief from them because I feel guilty for taking them and keep reminding myself that the work needs to be completed.

I'm frazzled and unable to concentrate.

NarcKiddo

Breaks does sound like the sensible solution to this. However I can see you are in a bind because the stuff has to be done and the breaks are making you feel guilty.

If there is truly no wriggle room on the deadline then I would suggest you try this:

Block off half an hour in your calendar to do the work, if that is the time frame you are able to cope with. Then block off half an hour in your calendar to take a break. Maybe even plan what you are going to do in that break. Read OOTS, have a coffee, go for a walk, have lunch. Whatever you like to do (or need to do, like eat, but not need to do like laundry or tiresome tasks if they can wait). Rinse, repeat. The point is that if the break is scheduled you are less likely to feel like you are avoiding the main task and procrastinating. You will be doing something "authorised" and this may stop you feeling guilty.

After a while you might find that you get into the work and just get it done in a longer sitting. If that happens, do not deny yourself the time you scheduled for a nice break. But roll with the motivation on the taxes and take the nice break afterwards.

Good luck - I hope you can get it done and out of the way soon.

Fraying