spagyrist 101ish

Started by spagyrist, September 08, 2023, 04:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spagyrist

Hi all... I'm spagyrist, a GenX woman with CPTSD and horrible ADHD, along with the usual sidekicks of depression, anxiety and chronic pain. The overlap of symptoms has caused multiple misdiagnoses throughout my history, which has made understanding myself and my resulting journey to healing pretty chaotic.

Trauma and abuse have been pretty constant companions throughout my life and I've been in and out of therapy for much of the last 30 years. Maybe I'll talk more about it at some point, but I don't feel comfortable doing that at the moment... and it's truly fantastic to know that's ok by all of you.

On a lighter note, I have developed a ridiculous sense of humor as a coping mechanism and The Unawares tend to think I'm hilarious. I hope to make some great connections here, learn a thing or two and maybe even laugh a little.

Papa Coco

Spagyrist,

Welcome to the forum. I empathize with your sense of chaos around all the wrong diagnosis and various healing journeys of your life. I sometimes look back at my past and see it as a tornado that spun around and around keeping me confused and always running in survival mode.

I get it about the humor. I once did a college research paper on why people laugh. I've come to believe that humor is a release of anxiety. We laugh to release anxiety. So humor is a good thing. I'm happy for you to have it in your healing journey.

Welcome!

Moondance

:heythere:

A warm welcome to you Spagyrist,

I can relate as well to ongoing therapy for 30+ years, misdiagnosis or lack of any diagnosis - perhaps because I was high functioning - I don't know for sure but it certainly made life difficult to say the least.

I hope you find all that you want and need on this forum.

It has been really beneficial to me in so many ways. 

All the best on your journey and I look forward to your posts - at your own speed and depth of course.

:hug: if okay - if not please disregard.

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum Spagyrist  :heythere:

Unfortunately I can relate to decades of therapy and misdiagnoses, not to mention those sidekicks.

I've found this forum very supportive from day one when I couldn't post much either due to a sort of speechlessness. Feel free to go at your own speed and don't feel you have to write more than you're comfortable with.

Armee

Hi, welcome. My inappropriate dark sense of humor is my constant sidekick and savior. I welcome your humor. We have 1 or more stand up comics in the group too. I also laugh in place of crying, like if I am talking and get to an emotional part my voice goes up and up, starts to break, and then I laugh maniacally. It's embarrassing.

NarcKiddo

Welcome!

Humour - oh, yeah. I soon learned that mother could not laugh and rage at the same time. So it became my mission to amuse her. I also laugh if I find myself in a difficult situation. If I fail a lift in the gym, I laugh. If I am really struggling, I laugh. If I am sharing some really hard stuff with my therapist I try to make a joke and laugh rather than cry. It's a very useful tool. I also have an awful penchant for toilet humour which my husband shares. We dread people asking what we are snorting with laughter about!

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS Spagyrist  :heythere: I love your forum name. It really suits what we are all trying to do here - find remedies for our trauma symptoms that is.  :thumbup:    Definitely helps to try and do that together or so I've found.

spagyrist

Thank you for the warm welcomes! 😊