New here

Started by Goldylox91, September 03, 2023, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldylox91

Hi there - so nice to see there are communities out there for people with similar backgrounds - even though these may be vastly different at the same time.

I've always had a difficulty feeling like I belong, and I feel misunderstood most of the time.

I finally escaped a very abusive home after living in it til my early 20's, and didn't even realize it was abusive til later.

Recovery is and has been such a process over the last number of years. Going to emergency rooms multiple times, seeing psychiatrists, finding a really good psychologist, doing so many courses and reading books - I still feel like I have so far to go.

Papa Coco

Hi Goldylox91

I'm so sorry for your struggles. No one should ever have to deal with what you've had to deal with. I'm glad you found this forum though because it's been a very helpful place for me and I hope it will be for you too.

I agree with your comment that we have similar backgrounds, even though our stories may be unique. I figure we all came from different places, but our paths to recovery seem to be running in parallel.

For the first time ever, I feel that I have found a place on earth where I can discuss what I'm feeling without having to defend or explain it. The compassionate kindred souls on this forum already know what trauma feels like. They get me. I get them. It's such a relief.

The road to recovery may be long, but if we travel it together, then we're here to support each other in ways that are real and meaningful.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Moondance

A warm welcome to you Goldylox91

So glad you found this safe haven.

Wishing well

Blueberry

Hello Goldylox and welcome to the forum :heythere:

You've made a good start on your recovery! It's a very supportive place here. As you guessed - lots of similarities, some differences (we don't all need all symptoms, thank goodness!). I hear you on the long recovery process. Hope to see you around the forum :)

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome Goldylox  :heythere:   This is a warm and supportive community so I hope you feel like you belong before too long.  As for being misunderstood that's the great thing about a group of fellow survivors, we all get it!  There's not much we haven't heard before so when you do feel comfortable enough to post more please go ahead. 

:grouphug: